Another WGU thread: Starting IT: Security 9/1

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
Alright, time to finish up my college for the BS! I have an AAS degree and several certs. The transcript evaluations dept got back to me today and here's what they waived:
-AGC1
-CLC1
-TBP1
-TCP1
-CJC1
-TJC1
-TJP1
-BVC1
-C277
-C278
-UBC1
-UBT1
-CDC1
-CDP1
-CRV1
-IWC1
-IWT1
-CTV1
-C246
-C247
-MGC1
-C299

Total CUs transferred: 71
Anddddd the classes I gotta take:
-WFV1
-EAV1
-EBV1
-EUP1
-EUC1
-CUV1
-DHV1
-C220
-C221
-CJV1
-DJV1
-TPV1
-BNC1

Total CUs required: 44

Looking forward to getting this knocked out! I will be finishing up SWITCH studies most likely at this time, assuming I pass ROUTE at the given time, and then will be finishing up with TSHOOT while I'm going through these as well.
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Once you finish the degree, along with those other certs you'll be golden. Good luck!
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! After getting e-mails from WGU for the past year and a half, I finally submitted my application for IT Security today. Do you care if I pm you about your experience with the education center?
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mistabrumley: No problem. Granted, my on base ed center was pretty useless, but I could try pointing you in the right direction. I assume you'll be using TA?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I see EUP1/EUC1 in your list of required courses, along with CUV1. You can skip the former by completing the latter, if you wish. There may be other skippables in there as well, but it's hard to tell without the course titles. The codes change from time to time and can even vary between programs, so it's always a good idea to post both the code and the course title when talking about WGU :)
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's a nice amount of CU's to transfer in, beats my 6 by a couple :)

Best of luck to you! Are you planning on a 1 term finish?
    EngRob wrote: »
    That's a nice amount of CU's to transfer in, beats my 6 by a couple :)

Best of luck to you! Are you planning on a 1 term finish?

It would be nice, but my CCNP studies will be overlapping a bit with my school (Most likely the tail end of SWITCH and all of TSHOOT, even though I heard it's a quick exam). I am projecting for 2-3 terms, but I really feel I can knock out the IT Fundies real quick, and 2 terms would be more ideal. Luckily, I'm a guy that retains more if I switch between 2-3 subjects in a given time frame. It keeps me from getting bored of the material, especially if it is very basic. I know that sounds like a lot, but I don't spend too much time on the weekdays/weekends outside of my studies. I do get in some gym sessions and maybe a movie or a couple episodes of a TV show, but as long as I pace myself I can keep up as long as I have the foundation of the material down. I occasionally get in some study at work, but it tends to be pretty fast paced, and rarely stays under or at a 40 hour week. I think the one I may be on the longest is probably Linux+. I am trying to learn command line and BASH right now, but I'm in between trying to learn Linux command line, Active Directory, CCNP concepts, F5 load balancers, and Cisco ISE. It's quite the array of technologies, but it keeps me entertained and enthralled.

Update: I will have to go through my orientation in a week or two. Stoked about that. Since I'm using the MGIB, it looks like I will be making a couple of payments out of pocket initially until they catch up with reimbursing me. Luckily, I am good with keeping my finances straight, so that isn't an issue. Hopefully, I can knock out a little more than the required credits this first term so I'm ahead of the game, and get everything done in as few terms as possible.
  • BowlJarBowlJar Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also slotted to start on the September for my BS in IT Security, I just got my financial aid award letter today. I transferred in 84 CU's, the whole year should cost me $340 (what wasn't covered by grants).
    So finally had access to the orientation today. Pretty straightforward. Finished it in about 2 hours. It looks like there are about 62 CUs total I actually have to do. Contrary to what the evaluation said, rather than 120 CUs total, it's 133 for this course. No big, just a few more courses to knock out! Hope to see everyone there that's starting with me!
    Looks like they're starting me off with CUV1 and then the other two I'm assigned to this term is the two A+ courses. Any advice on the CUV1 is appreciated. I should be able to knock out A+ in no more than a month to six weeks from what I've seen of it. Already took the pre-test for domain one and scored like a 70 on the CIW material. Seems like mostly project management type stuff.
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    It totally up to you what order you take the classes in. After you log on to the My WGU web site, you go to the My Degree Plan page and you can drag and drop the courses to the terms you prefer. Then your Mentor has to approve the first term before you take any tests. Good luck. icon_smile.gif
    Passed CUV1 today. Pretty easy class for the most part, even though web design isn't my cup of tea. Onto C393 and C394. Hopefully I can get these two knocked out before December.
  • selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Those are the classes knocked out by the A+ cert... does that mean that the final for those are the A+ exam? Professor Messer's YouTube videos are awesome help with the A+.
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
    Yes selenity, those are for the A+ exam. I'll check out the Professor Messer vids. Heard some good things about em. I actually have a hardcopy book for the exam as I think it'll be beneficial for the subject. Can only take so much of the ebooks :D
  • selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tell me about it! I got through 500 pages of the book and decided to use it as an in-depth reference for the Prof Messer videos. Have not yet had to even look at it and I am just a couple videos from finishing his 801 playlist.
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
    Haven't checked in here in ages. This term, I completed CUV1, C393, C394, and DHV1 so far. My last goal before the end of the term is WFV1. Between work, moving, the holidays, and job searching, it's taken a hit on my time to complete more classes, but I've been making it through. It's been smooth sailing so far (In regards to the course material). The only courses I feel may be difficult are the upcoming linux courses.