Options

How To Get My Foot In The Door?

BAO321BAO321 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I will be going to college for either Computer Science or Management Information Systems(I dont know yet), while working on entry level certs such as Network+, CCENT etc.. I'll also try to get as much experience as I can by working on the computers and network through work-study.

Would this be enough to get my foot in the door?

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is certainly a great start. The first job is always tricky.

Every situation will be different. Just show confidence and persistence. You only need to get your foot in the door once. After that your just accumulating experience.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    BAO321BAO321 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I have a question about the B.S degrees as well-- which one is more "valuable", to an employer? The Computer Science degree or the Management Information Systems degree?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go for Computer Science, it is by a superior program if you can handle it. Get the Network+ it is good starting point and won't overwhelm you with having to by equipment or setup a lab.

Talk to someone at your university about getting into an IT work study program... helpdesk, lan crew or anything else IT related to get you work experience. Getting your first IT job, even part time, is always the hardest part.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Yeah, computer science over MIS, no question.
  • Options
    PrefluxPreflux Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This will be more than enough to get your foot in the door.

I managed to get my foot in the door fairly easily, Albeit in the UK, without any certs or a degree. I had self taught knowledge and just showed a passion for knowledge and great enthusiasm in interviews and landed a job after my first interview.