Options

Anyone pursue MSIM from Arizona State University?

XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
Information Management Online Degree | ASU Online | Arizona State University

http://wpcarey.asu.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/master-science-information-management/MSIM-course-descriptions.pdf

I'm looking for someone who has experience with the program and can provide feedback it's pros/cons. It's a compressed 16 month program where you take each class as a consecutive 5 week course (3 classes per semester).

-X

Comments

• Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I can't comment on the school, but the tuition is pretty expensive....I would consider more inexpensive options personally.

https://catalog.asu.edu/tuitionandfees/fall14graduate.htm
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    MSIM Online & Evening Tuition & Financial Aid | W. P. Carey School of Business

Unfortunately, I'd be paying an out of state tuition for most schools. This program is a flat-rate $34.3K and I have the benefit of about 5 months of G.I. Bill coverage left to help offset the costs.

Edit: I've seen the average cost for public graduate degrees average about the same cost.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I heavily considered last year before pursuing other options. Carey School of Business is pretty well respected. I really liked the format of the program. I agree with aspiringsould that I felt the tuition a little steep, but honestly it's not far off from Masters from other well known public unis. If you dont mind the cost, or have any sort of tuition help I would highly consider it as a very well known school, and would look nice on the resume.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Updating this to say I submitted my application to the program and we'll see what happens. I wanted to wait for in-state tuition in my area, but I have to move again in 5 months so that plan is out the window.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even though you have a bit of GI Bill money available, consider purchasing this scholarship book. I've purchased it and found that I qualify for around 33% of the scholarships. Since I am a typical middle-class, WASPish veteran in his early-to-mid 40's, I would guess that you would also qualify for at least that percentage. If you fall into a special class of person (race, religion, major, school, etc), you might qualify for more scholarships from that book alone. Also, look up veteran specific scholarships and grants.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    That's a good tip, I'll check it out.
  • Options
    J DubJ Dub Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Xavor. Did you ever start the MSIM program at ASU? I am considering it for this year and wondering if you like the program thus far. I agree the tuition is pricey, but probably worth it.
  • Options
    I'm still in the middle of the application process and, if accepted, would start in the Fall 2015 semester. You fill out a 3 part essay and have to have 2 letters of recommendation which I'm still waiting on from my last employer.
  • Options
    Got accepted, classes start in the Fall.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Stryder thanks for posting this great resource.