Options

CEH Exam

hacktheworldhacktheworld Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
IF you are CEH certified then you will get job in IT Security as a fresher. your views on this please ....

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    IF you are CEH certified then you will get job in IT Security as a fresher. your views on this please ....

Totally untrue. Earning a certification does not guarantee you a job, even more so in the security field, where actual experience has far more value.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    colemic wrote: »
    Totally untrue. Earning a certification does not guarantee you a job, even more so in the security field, where actual experience has far more value.

That's the truth. And even then experience isn't good enough. I've found that anything above the most basic "entry-level" security roles, the hiring managers/companies want very specific experience so just having some security experience with one aspect or technology doesn't mean you can get a security role with something different.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I respectfully disagree with JoJo. Let your resume have experience with a Siem such as Arcsight or LogRythm, IPS/IDS experience of Snort or Tipping point, Web proxy experience of Bluecoat or Websense and these recruiters/companies will be beating down your door. Trust me on that, I have more than enough offers in a week than I care to sift through.
  • Options
    diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□

Quickest way to get into penetration testing, or vulnerability management is to target a small company. I didn't have any major IT experience, but recently graduated with a BS in information systems security + Security+ and a small company took me in. Now I have 3 years of penetration testing experience, am working on my SSCP and CEH and should be able to pivot to the next best thing. Sorry for it being all about me, that was just my experience.
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree with JoJo. Let your resume have experience with a Siem such as Arcsight or LogRythm, IPS/IDS experience of Snort or Tipping point, Web proxy experience of Bluecoat or Websense and these recruiters/companies will be beating down your door. Trust me on that, I have more than enough offers in a week than I care to sift through.

Emails from recruiters (internal and external) don't mean anything. I had the same thing. At the end of last year and beginning of this year I had so many contacts coming in I couldn't keep track of them and had to get a notebook and log every incoming contact, as well as phone call or email I made, just to keep up with them. However getting in front of the hiring manager and the technical team when they are looking for specific skills is another thing. Like I said in my post, it's what I've found. Doesn't mean it's true for every person and in every market. Just my experience, as well as others that I know in the profession. And my statement still stands true, having experience in one thing, doesn't mean you can get a job doing something else.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Emails from recruiters (internal and external) don't mean anything. I had the same thing. At the end of last year and beginning of this year I had so many contacts coming in I couldn't keep track of them and had to get a notebook and log every incoming contact, as well as phone call or email I made, just to keep up with them. However getting in front of the hiring manager and the technical team when they are looking for specific skills is another thing. Like I said in my post, it's what I've found. Doesn't mean it's true for every person and in every market. Just my experience, as well as others that I know in the profession. And my statement still stands true, having experience in one thing, doesn't mean you can get a job doing something else.

I don't deal with recruiters. I want all my money. I'm talking about actual HR people were booking me for interviews with the actual hiring manager/team at the actual hiring company. What I've found is the complete opposite of what you were saying. I do agree that It doesn't mean it's true for everybody,but it also doesn't mean that he won't get a job if he has an area or two that he specializes in.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    With regards to finding a job, certifications on your resume may get you a first round interview but nothing else. Once your butt is in the interviewee chair it's only your ability to successfully present your problem-solving knowledge and team-compatible personality that matter.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    With regards to finding a job, certifications on your resume may get you a first round interview but nothing else. Once your butt is in the interviewee chair it's only your ability to successfully present your problem-solving knowledge and team-compatible personality that matter.
    Agreed. If you have the personality of an old shoe with the bottom falling off, don't expect to get a job unless you are:

A. a wizard at what you do, and nobody else can touch you
    B. working alone
    C. work for a sociopath who rewards this behavior