Options

Question about WGU IT Bachelors Network degrees, certs

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
I was looking at possibly applying to get into WGU to earn a 4 year degree, and it appears both Network degrees along with the generic IT degree is filled with random (and for me useless) certs including all A+/N+/S+/P+/L+/CIW Certs/MTA Certs. I have absolutely no interest in taking any of those exams, and wondering if that is a requirement to finish the degree?

I know I've looked at them a couple times, and this has always deterred me from spending the money to even apply, cause I have absolutely no interest in taking the time off work to sit those cert exams.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    1 cert = 1 class. If you are not willing to take them you will not pass the class and gain the competency. Given where you stand I would say the program is not for you.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You probably aren't going to find an accredited school that doesn't required you to take "useless" classes for your BS. You'll need a lot of general ed classes, nothing is going to be 100% of the classes in your major, or the most interesting.

As for cert exams, just go on the weekends if you can, that is what I did.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looking at your certs, why not take the security track? It offers the CCNA and CCNA security certs.

But in all fairness, a bachelor's degree from anywhere is going to have a lot of classes that won't be applicable to your career. I'm not a fan of some of the certs they make me take (Project+, CIW Web Development), but I just power through them and schedule them on Saturday mornings when I don't work.
  • Options
    Are you able to essentially test out of the classes if you obtain the cert? It sounds like the classes can be extremely condensed, so it seems like the class itself is just training to pass the certification.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Are you able to essentially test out of the classes if you obtain the cert? It sounds like the classes can be extremely condensed, so it seems like the class itself is just training to pass the certification.

Yes, if you pass the cert you pass the class because basically, the cert is the class. I understand what you mean about not wanting to take certain classes that you aren't interested in. But the good thing about WGU is that you can power through them as fast as you can. You aren't held down to a set schedule. How much schooling have you already done?
  • Options
    I have a two year degree in advanced networking, which meant graduating the Cisco Academy CCNA and CCNP R/S courses, and have my CCENT / CCNA / CCNA Voice. I was told that my technical credits expire after 5 years when I was going to school, but not sure if that was just within the MNSCU system here in Minnesota.

I'd have to look at the whole curriculum, but if the certifications are essentially classes, I could burn through those in absolutely no time. I may have to reconsider applying :)
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I have a two year degree in advanced networking, which meant graduating the Cisco Academy CCNA and CCNP R/S courses, and have my CCENT / CCNA / CCNA Voice. I was told that my technical credits expire after 5 years when I was going to school, but not sure if that was just within the MNSCU system here in Minnesota.

I'd have to look at the whole curriculum, but if the certifications are essentially classes, I could burn through those in absolutely no time. I may have to reconsider applying :)

Yes, the good thing is when you pass the cert, you pass the class :). If you plan to apply, the program that will give you the most transfer credits would be the IT Security track, just as markulous said. Here's the link:

BSIT - Security
  • Options
    Yep, it's competency based, meaning if you pass the cert, you've shown competence and the class is over. Other than that the "class" is really just a bunch of material to learn the cert requirements.
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well you can't want a degree and yet you're unwilling to take the classes/exams, read the material, study etc. It just doesn't work that way.
    There are lots of other online schools with different curricula from WGU, why not check those out.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    There are no traditional classes. The certs and projects each replace one class in a traditional program. One aspect of ANY bachelor's degree is it is suppose to produce a well rounded individual. There will be math, science, hunanities, and social science requirements not to mention technical competencies in areas other than your main focus. I believe certs older than 5 years do not transfer. I got around that on the A+ and N+ by updating them by taking Security+.
  • Options
    I'm sure there is a thread here to request a code for a free application, the enrollment counselors usually just give them away too. I don't have one on me but can get one at home if you need it.

The certs are not 1 credit courses at all, not sure where you are getting that from. The CCNA alone is probably 6-8 credits between the 2 exams. The only thing that might be 1 credit in the whole program would be a project that is part of another class. Meaning if you had a programming class with an exam that was worth 2-3 credits, you might also have a project for it that is worth 1 more.
  • Options
    Ok I actually deleted my post above cause I misread Cyberguypr's response that 1 cert = 1 class, I thought that said 1 credit for some reason.

I'll check around for free application codes and pm you if I don't find one, I really appreciate offering to help out with that, I think I might just power through getting my 4 year degree. If it is that easy at an accredited University, I don't see a reason not to get it aside from maybe timing of other studies I'd like to have going on.

Is it completely self paced, so I can drop it and pick it back up if other studies take presedence for my job?
  • Options
    trevm999trevm999 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't it make more sense to power through those certs before getting into the program? Then you are not paying the term fee while you do them.
  • Options
    As long as you do a min of 12 credits per 6 month term, you can do whatever pace you want.

No point in doing the certs before the program if WGU will be paying for the certs. You can however study for them beforehand, then start the school ready to take a cert or two and let them cover the voucher costs.
  • Options
    No sorry I meant the CCNP R/S and Voice, which was my certification goals as I work with related technologies daily at my job.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Not really. The tuition is flat rate for as many competencies/classes as you can finish in 6 months. You have to finish 12 credits (usually 3 or 4 classes) per 6 month period. You can take a break between semesters but I believe it is discouraged.