Options

What things should I know how to do when I begin my first help desk job?

Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
To those that have done this or a desktop support role, I want to make sure that I have the basics under my belt. Then if I don't know how to do something someone suggests, I can go ahead and try to learn it or brush up on it at least. I think this will also help me on interviews, or give me a few things to add/replace on my resume.

I'm targeting these entry level positions right now. My fear is that either on an interview or if I start working somewhere, that I will be asked about something very basic and I will have no idea how to do it.

Comments

• Options
    WolvendeerWolvendeer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For either job, but especially for help desk jobs, you should at least know the basics of Active Directory. This includes how to unlock and reset passwords on active directory. Prior experience babysitting or working in a daycare center would also help prepare you for a help desk job. I would also recommend you ensure you have the ability and patience to answer the following sorts of questions:

The 10 Most Common Service Desk Requests | Samanage Blog

Edit - For desktop support, know how to use AD, how to add computers to a domain, how to use SCCM, how to use desktop imaging software, how to search for and remove virii on a computer (hint - in a corporate environment, the answer is usually re-image the system), how to fix network printers (replace toner, answer 'help, the printer won't print'), how to add printers to a computer. Also, know how to replace, upgrade, and troubleshoot any component inside of computer. Having the A+ certification would help you in this regard. In fact, having the A+ certification will help you in both a Help Desk and a Desktop Support role, but especially in Desktop Support. Network+ level networking knowledge would do you good as well.
  • Options
    srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wolvendeer wrote: »
    Prior experience babysitting or working in a daycare center would also help prepare you for a help desk job.

Being a psychiatrist in a previous life would be helpful too.

I would download an evaluation copy of Server 2008 or 2012 and install Active Directory Domain Services. This will be useful in most environments. Learn how to create users and computer accounts, groups, and organizational units. Learn about group policy and providing permissions based on groups. This is pretty much all covered by the 70-410 or 70-640 prep materials. While you might not get your hands on everything in those objectives, having a basic understanding will make Windows troubleshooting considerably easier.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    -How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems (ping/tracert/ipconfig(ifconfig)/pathping/unplugged cable...)
    -Basic wireless stuff (connecting/password stuff..)
    -How to explain technical things to non-technical people so they will understand things.

It's okay to not know how to do something, you can't know everything about a broad range of technologies. There are some things that you won't know about but you will learn as long as you're willing to learn and if you get the opportunity. Try to do labs at home so you can play around with certain things. This will really help during the interview because it shows that you're trying to improve your skill-set and you're motivated to learn.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I have been a bartender for a few years and a manager at a restaurant for a year and a half so that was similar to babysitting.

I used TestOut to study during my computer security class, and I think my account is still active. I should really go back and brush up on it...I executed a ton of tasks within a simulated Active Directory.

Anyways, everyone gave me some good ideas on what I need to work on.