Options

Does Anyone Have An Management Information Systems Degree?

BAO321BAO321 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wondering.

Comments

• Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I do, undergrad in CIS, master's in MIS. What can I answer for you?
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I do. What do you need to know?
  • Options
    izzyiz426izzyiz426 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you go to WGU?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IS undergrad here, MS in Cybersecurity Policy
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BA in Business Administration emphasis in Management Information Systems from Washington State U
  • Options
    Nikki624Nikki624 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BS in Information Technology and MS in Information Systems. Is there something that you need to know?
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    I do... B.S in Information Technology from a state school and a MS in Management Information Systems from a private school... My long term career goal is to be a CIO someday
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CIO would be great at some point
  • Options
    BAO321 wrote:
    RE: I do... B.S in Information Technology from a state school and a MS in Management Information Systems from a private school... My long term career goal is to be a CIO someday

How much luck have you had in the I.T field with those degrees career wise?

Obtaining my B.S & M.S early in my career has definitely had some advantages & disadvantages. Potential employers (large corporate companies) are impress with my resume but on the other hand, my resume makes it appear that i'm over qualified for most positions that i seek.

My road map to becoming a CIO someday is as followed:

5-10 yrs of highly technical positions in various technologies
    5-10 yrs serving as a manager/director before aiming for a CIO position

Of course this plan could derail and i may have to move through my career backward/sideway at certain points in order to move forward
  • Options
    lopezilopezi Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right or wrong what I have come across in my travels is that CIOs push into that position from the business side, generally someone with industry or domain expertise/experience that is somewhat IT-"aware".
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CIO wrote: »
    5-10 yrs serving as a manager/director before aiming for a CIO position

Good luck .. getting into management from a technical position seems to require a lot of connections. Especially for C** positions.

Network engineer in one of my last jobs managed to get promoted to the CTO - God knows how that worked out ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Good luck .. getting into management from a technical position seems to require a lot of connections. Especially for C** positions.

According to my mentor, the best way for someone to move from a technical position into management is from within their company instead of applying for a management position at another company. Once you're in a management position at your current company, it will be alot easier to apply at another company.

My plan is to try to stay at my current company until i become a Sr. tech then get promoted into a lead/supervisor position. If i decide to leave after a lead/supervisor position, i would be looking for other lead/supervisor positions at other companies.