Options

Copy technician career advancement?

majestic_pecanmajestic_pecan Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I interviewed today for a copy technician position at a major international printer and copier corporation. The interview went great and I think I have a good chance of being offered the position. But before I think about taking the job, does someone with experience in the area know if there would be any mid-level positions? The supervisor I interviewed with said that they do promote to management internally, but realistically that would be at least 10 years from now. Is this field just divided into copy techs ans copy tech managers, or could I eventually increase my earnings by moving on to another company after I get some experience?
2016 GOALS:
Linux+
Wireshark
New job...

Comments

• Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my experience, no real career advancement chances besides management/supervisors when it comes to copier techs. Most copiers and scanners are networked now a days so you will get some experience there and hardware experience replacing parts. It's obviously a job if you don't currently have one though.
  • Options
    I was worried you would say that. The company seems like it would be a great, stable place to work (full benefits, 401k), but I'm worried about getting trapped there, since in 2-4 years or so future employers will see my résumé and won't offer me anything better than an entry level helpdesk job that I could get right now.
    Maybe I can use it to get some printer certs and my Network+ and bridge into desktop support?
    2016 GOALS:
    Linux+
    Wireshark
    New job...
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you employed now? I did generally enjoy my time working as copier tech, it was my first "real" IT related job that I had. It can for sure it being a bridge into a desktop support kind of role, it was for me. Though I was always labeled the printer fix it person since they knew I previous worked on copiers/printers.
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just left a help desk role for a copier repair company. I was there for about 10 months and from what I was able to see there is not a lot of room for advancement in that area. You were either a help desk phone technician, field technician or management. The help desk sucked because you were on the phones all day, and field techs usually got burned out after a while. I was so happy be out of that position.
  • Options
    SurgeSurge Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do not have experience working in this field but, it could be a good start. I am assuming your doing the hands on side and not remote phone support.

You will interact with tons of people, which is a plus to improving your communication and interaction skills face to face. Which will be of value in anything you do in future.
    I would also be willing to bet that as a copier tech, you will end up in situations where you need to working with other IT teams for networking or other concerns outside your control. This is a good learning experience and you can pick up alot by paying attention.

Ultimately it doesn't sound like you want to do it forever and if you decide to do it and use your time wisely you can work your way into another support role elsewhere rather its helpdesk, desktop support, or any combination of other roles.

Get some entry level certs, learn, adapt, and keep your ears open.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    @J_86: I am employed right now, but they are part-time jobs that are not really in IT. The copier tech position would provide benefits and a (significant) raise, I'm just worried about getting stuck. Good to know that you can get out though.
    @Surge: Actually the manager I interviewed with said that eventually copier techs are trained to install the devices onto networks (both by physically cabling them and configuring them in the OS), so that would provide experience for a future role as well.
    It doesn't sound like it's necessarily the dead end I thought it might be. I also just interviewed with an MSP, but if I don't get that position I'll take the copier tech position and use my time there to collect some certs and experience.
    2016 GOALS:
    Linux+
    Wireshark
    New job...
  • Options
    SurgeSurge Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its good to hear there can be some bleed over in the copier position so you will touch more technology then.
    I currently work for an MSP and there is a lot to learn and it is a very active changing environment. I cant see myself doing this forever but, its been great to pick up skills fast.

Regardless you seem motivated enough that your going to make the best of either one. Best wishes! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my first real networking experience by being a copier tech. Very basic Network+ knowledge but it helped me create a solid foundation for where I'm at now
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore