Options

Windows certification to go beyond Help Desk

Treylee1783Treylee1783 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking for a way to get back into the IT field since the last two years I have been more back in customer service mainly and hate the downgrade my career is in. I am a 2010 network support tech school graduate and will be completing my 2 year degree In information systems in December. Really want to work in a Windows IT field and looking for the right training and certification to get my to at least mid level IT and more respect then on help desk. My dream was always to be a server administrator and want to achieve a MCSA. I went through MCSA server 2008 training and I'm good with Server 2012 too skills but is MCSA really enough to move to better career with $$$. Or is MCSE necessary? It seems I need some unique skills with Windows desktop and server skills, what would be recommended to go after exactly certification wise by anyone?

Comments

• Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am looking for a way to get back into the IT field since the last two years I have been more back in customer service mainly and hate the downgrade my career is in. I am a 2010 network support tech school graduate and will be completing my 2 year degree In information systems in December. Really want to work in a Windows IT field and looking for the right training and certification to get my to at least mid level IT and more respect then on help desk. My dream was always to be a server administrator and want to achieve a MCSA. I went through MCSA server 2008 training and I'm good with Server 2012 too skills but is MCSA really enough to move to better career with $$$. Or is MCSE necessary? It seems I need some unique skills with Windows desktop and server skills, what would be recommended to go after exactly certification wise by anyone?

Certification is only part of the puzzle. You mention getting back into IT, what level were you before? Help desk? How much working experience is on your resume?

I would say an MCSA path the MCSE is good if you want to be a server admin

-scott
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223

Well no cert is going to make you a Server Administrator. I think an MCSA and an MCSE will help but I would really focus mainly on getting back into IT. Even if it's help desk, look for a help desk position in a company that has a lot of room for growth and a help desk that lets you touch different technologies. I must ask--why did you get out of help desk?