Subnetting?

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hey guys,

I am taking the Network+ exam mid next month and I am still in the process of studying, but I just have a few questions.

On the CompTIA objectives on the site, it says you need to know subnetting. Now, I understand how to do basic subnetting of /8, /16, and /24 but I am unsure if it is needed to know how to thoroughly subnet like in the CCENT/CCNA.

Like would I need to calculate how many hosts are in a subnet,, etc?

Or would it just be basic/simple subnetting?

Also, anyone have any extra tips on what to focus on most in regards to the exam? I hear the OSI model and ports are commonly asked questions.

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Thanks everyone. :)

Justin

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    CompTIA exams are vendor neutral, duh right?! But for CompTIA exams have a general overview expectation of topics. Nevertheless, the more you know, the more prepared you are.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know about the exam since I have not take it. However for CCNA I used this site to study. Just spend an hour answering questions and if you get them wrong it will give you the correct answer. After a while it will just start to make sense.

Good Luck

Subnetting Practice Questions
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Hi, thanks for the reply @Jon_Cisco

I will definitely check that site out and practice from there but I'm just looking for someone who has taken the test and knows from first hand experience if they were given questions on subnetting besides the simple questions.

Thank you though.
    @Justin,

Without violating their NDA with COMPTIA folks cannot give you that type of information. Please do not ask for it on this board, nor solicit such information privately from our members.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I don't understand how I'm soliciting information?

I simply asked if the topic of subnetting goes beyond the simple schemes/questions. I haven't read anything that goes further into subnetting in the Exam Cram book that I am using, hence I am asking.

Justin
    Justin- wrote:
    but I'm just looking for someone who has taken the test and knows from first hand experience if they were given questions on subnetting besides the simple questions.

Thank you though.

Justin,what part of your above comment is NOT asking for specifics about the NET +?

Our members work on integrity and sign the exam NDA. This is not how our forums work. You may ask questions about topics you do not understand to learn and gain clarification. Your questions have been answered about subnetting. Already, anything further, you are putting others and yourself in risk of violating their certification. Asking others about what is on the exam is NOT permitted and this and other rules were shown to you when you signed up to be a member here.

Perhaps there are other forum on the web that will assist you in cheating, but not here.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @OP

You should definitely download the IP Addressing and Subnetting Workbook. It helps a lot.

If you get stuck in the questions, just watch this video..

Subnetting Made Easy by Cisco Networking Academy Student Brian Morgan - YouTube