For those that have passed MCSA 2008.

geekbossgeekboss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
How long did it take to prepare for each exam? Are the tests as impossible as people on here say? I'm reading the 2008 R2 70-640 book from MSPress and watching some free youtube videos that are for the 70-640 as well. Any insight would be appreciated as I'm now freaking out and thinking that I will not be able to pass all three tests in the next year. icon_cry.gif

Comments

• coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you labbing, physically or virtually? Do you have any experience daily (with your job) in active directory? Labbing some of the AD/Group Policy parts are pretty difficult.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    coralreefguy is spot on, I flunked the 70-640 as the labs in the MS books are not enough and the group policy/AD and CS stuff is very difficult to lab probably so any hands on experience will help a lot! I'm hoping to hit the 70-642 in the next few months so will let you know how that goes. Are you just looking at the 70-640 or the 3 exams that make up the MCSA Server 2008 out of interest?
  • geekbossgeekboss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    coralreefguy is spot on, I flunked the 70-640 as the labs in the MS books are not enough and the group policy/AD and CS stuff is very difficult to lab probably so any hands on experience will help a lot! I'm hoping to hit the 70-642 in the next few months so will let you know how that goes. Are you just looking at the 70-640 or the 3 exams that make up the MCSA Server 2008 out of interest?

I have been studying on and off since January. I just overhauled our entire Group Policy infrastucture and am now reorganizing some Active Directory objects to match the changes made in Group Policy.

I really need to pass this cert to make it easier to find a job out of state. I only ever read about how impossible these exams are and how people fail several times.

I hoping that these exams do not expire soon. I also am hoping that I can get all three exams out of the way by next February without trouble. I haven't read anything about anyone passing.

Is it possible to pass all three exams by Feburary? I'm currently only reading the MSpress books and some youtube videos.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say that it is possible of course but you do need to put a fair bit of effort in and be prepared as you can be for the exams- I can't see them expiring any time that soon anyway so if it takes long don't worry too much. I am hoping to get at least the 70-642 done but it depends what else happens as life and work have been crazy this year. Good luck with the studies and let us know how you get on! If you know Group policy and are using AD etc everyday that will only help too!