Options

What would you do? Offer from nowhere

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
So as many of you know I recently have changed jobs 2 times. I went from a MSP to corporate (October 2013), the corporate relocated and 3 months later I unfortunately had to find a new job right away which is where I am now and have been here for 7 going on 8 months (Jan 2014 - Now).

A previous co-worker of mine just became a manager at a competitor MSP and calls me out of nowhere and wants me to come work for him. He loved working with me and knows how hard I work and want nothing more than to learn. I told him I have been here for only almost 8 months and dont want to show on my resume I am a short term hopper. Not to mention that I have a baby on the way due in Feb and I can't afford something happening and losing insurance.

He said they would offer to train me for my CCIE if I wanted as well as VMWare training and pay me the same as I make now. I dont know if I really want to go back to the MSP lifestyle and not stay in corporate but as a benefit besides training it is 15 miles from home.

So out of curiosity, what would you do?

I am debating if it is worth it or to just stay where I am now, keep studying, get my VCP to go with my CCNP and move on after the baby is born and take my time and look for something closer to home. The CCIE sounds great but I am not deadset on getting it at this point.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    While the training offer is enticing, how much is it worth really? Because...
    pay me the same as I make now

+ going back to an MSP...where you are one of the companies main bread-winners...doesn't add up (unless you're capped in your local market or something business-related).

I wouldn't do it. It's insulting to me when someone offers the same pay.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I dont know if I really want to go back to the MSP lifestyle and not stay in corporate but as a benefit besides training it is 15 miles from home.

i think you answered your question here...if you're uncertainn about it, or have serious doubts, then more than likely, its not something you want to do...

and i'm biased against MSPs also, I've worked at one, and was dying to go back to corporate IT asap....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I wouldn't do it, if you are fine where you are at I would study and continue on after your child is born. I had a similar offer a while ago for a previous company but I didn't like the shift work at the msp.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I work for an MSP and can definitely say it's a hard and fast lifestyle. Great if you're hungry for experience and want to learn a lot. However, if they're not going to pay you any more I would say the risk of job hopping and all the benefit change BS would definitely not be worth it in your case.
  • Options
    tkerber wrote: »
    I work for an MSP and can definitely say it's a hard and fast lifestyle. Great if you're hungry for experience and want to learn a lot. However, if they're not going to pay you any more I would say the risk of job hopping and all the benefit change BS would definitely not be worth it in your case.

That is my case as well. I did MSP work for 4 years so I am used to the long random hours and on call. I did on call for 3 of the 4 years (24x7x365). Started as a printer tech made my way up to cloud engineer and left because I didn't get to see my kiddo grow up, was tired of making jack padiddly squat, and the stress level.

I think I am going to skip it as well and see if I can find a good place close to home where I can move up to an Architect or Mgmt role in time. I just wanted to see if anyone else kind of saw the same way I did and so far seems that it is that way.

Where ever I go next I would like for at min 5 years if not longer. I not a big fan of hopping though it got me where I am today.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is no way you should accept his initial offer without negotiation. If he is cold calling you, I would ask for a minimum of a 20% raise plus the training benefits.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A bit odd to cold call you and only offering your current salary. I worked for an MSP for 5 years, worked in corporate, got fed up, moved back to MSP and got fed up too. Realising that each area has issues. Red tape vs. Long hours, back stabbing vs. Under staffed, non flexibility vs. no benefits. At the end I personally realised that I would only change again if either a. there is a nice pay bump or b. change in job itself (I.e. support vs consultancy etc. ).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    A bit odd to cold call you and only offering your current salary. I worked for an MSP for 5 years, worked in corporate, got fed up, moved back to MSP and got fed up too. Realising that each area has issues. Red tape vs. Long hours, back stabbing vs. Under staffed, non flexibility vs. no benefits. At the end I personally realised that I would only change again if either a. there is a nice pay bump or b. change in job itself (I.e. support vs consultancy etc. ).

I brought up the fact of salary. He said what he was offering was my salary and yearly bonus as my base salary . He doesn't think he could get me more until I got my CCIE or more experience (I'd be at 88k starting). I told him while I appreciate it I prefer to stay where I am now at least at this time.

Red tape I could care less about. But with 1.5 kids I don't want insane hours and meh insurance. After the little one is born next year I will reevaluate if I want to stay where I am now or look over time for something closer to home.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Edit *Never mind*
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    All things equal + shorter commute + training + a buddy at the helm calling the shots? Sounds promising to me
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    tprice5 wrote: »
    All things equal + shorter commute + training + a buddy at the helm calling the shots? Sounds promising to me

It takes a lot to consider I agree with that. I told him in the end I may reach back out to him to see if anything is available next spring but for now I need to wait til my kiddo is born (Also by then it will show I been here 1.5 years and not 8 months which I feel would look better on my resume). Until then I'll just finish my CCDA and probably do my VCP cert.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    It takes a lot to consider I agree with that. I told him in the end I may reach back out to him to see if anything is available next spring but for now I need to wait til my kiddo is born (Also by then it will show I been here 1.5 years and not 8 months which I feel would look better on my resume). Until then I'll just finish my CCDA and probably do my VCP cert.

Good call. I had a lot of contacts come in at the end of last year for new jobs (2 months before our daughter was born) and some of them were really tempting, but I too chose to stay put until after our daughter was born due to the benefits situation. I didn't want to chance being stuck with a ridiculous bill due to insufficient insurance or some kind of snafu happening with benefits.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework