Options

Going to a Jr level position to enter a new field/niche?

Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
I've been trying to move into the infosec field, I've been a sysadmin for awhile. I made a connection with a company over linkedin that has an information security analyst position open in a good company, highly rated, sounds like good growth potential, vs where I work now I'm the single IT guy doing everything.

when I went to submit my application I clicked through and it changed from a regular analyst, to a jr level one. Assuming the salary was reasonable, would it be worth taking a more jr. level position to break into a new field?

In regards to salary, I'm already talking with the HR person at the company over linkedin, she already clarified that it is a jr level position and she had posted it incorrectly at first but good team, good company, growth potential. Would it be rude to mention the salary even in the way of "assuming the salary is feasible" sort of manner before applying? I'd hate to have to take off, go out there for interviews, etc, and find out they want someone for even less than I'm making now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't like to waste anyone's time. For many of us it doesn't make any sense to go through the interview hoopla just to be low balled at the end. I would need at least a range to consider it.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your salary assumption of a feasible salary for this position and her's might be two completely different ranges. If salary is a huge issue for you just come right out and ask for a range before setting up an interview.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Also realize security positions can be skewed upward in terms of position titles and salary because many security roles require certain underpinnings (like sys admin experience) before jumping into the field.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    From my own experiences just even trying to move from one area of InfoSec to another, experience is everything, then everything else such as certs, degrees, etc. If you can get in and get experience, it will make it a whole lot easier to try to move up in responsibilities and salary.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks, since she seems to be open and chatting I'm going to try to get a line on a salary range since the title has changed. As JoJo mentioned, I'm just trying to get in for experience in infosec at this point, even if I'm not at this specific place forever.