Options

methods of monitoring internet use

neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
what are some good anc common methods of monitoring internet use. Also methods so that the user doesnt know they are being monitored.
1's and 0's

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first thing comming to my mind is 'proxy'.

If you don't want them to know set up a 'transparent proxy'.

Google for this and you'll sure find some good guides on how to do this with Linux and Squid.

However, note that some countries (e.g. germany) have very strict laws on monitoring people (even and especially at work) so you might want to check that first.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really depends on what you are looking at monitoring. We monitor directly from the firewall for many of our clients and can pick up what sort of traffic is occuring - from that we can locate users by IP address and bail them up about things like streaming media, or shut them down if they have been hit by a virus such as Sasser.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    It really depends on what you are looking at monitoring. We monitor directly from the firewall for many of our clients and can pick up what sort of traffic is occuring - from that we can locate users by IP address and bail them up about things like streaming media, or shut them down if they have been hit by a virus such as Sasser.

That's exactly what we do with our smaller clients (100 or less users). The config usually consists of a PIX and usually a Sonicwall. We use the pix for access rules and filters, and the sonicwall for granular content filtering, monitoring, and automation of desktop antivirus software updates. My default config on the Sonicwall consists of a rule that won't allow any computer inside the network to connect to the network without the latest version and latest patches of the desktop anti-virus package. Most clients are amazed, shocked, scared into next year after we implement this, then show them that about 60 to 70% percent of all inbound traffic is sometimes dropped at the pix and sonicwall.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For sure Keatron - it is amazing what you can see on any given day. Our Linux engineer builds our firewalls using ex-lease small form factor desktops and we can usually add in mail filtering and a few other goodies as well.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    2 Words:

Linux + Squid. Thats all you need! icon_thumright.gif
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    iPrism and for more Barracuda.
    What next?
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Linux for sure
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I just went through this about a year ago. I wanted to setup corperate web montiroing without creating a proxy or having a passive gateway monitoring tool. I found something that you install behind the scenes on client machines and it updates a server and keeps logs. Make sure you have good bandwidth. I didn't want to change my network scheme for proxy and we have alot of fiber so this option worked. (linux sux)
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well - if you have the access to any core devices (such as router or backbone switches) maybe you can put an ip accounting on which interfaces the user you want to monitor - then you can decide what to do next.. : )

and garv..., linux is not that bad : ) heheheheee...

cheers icon_cool.gif
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just to add, If it's a bigger user base, I swear by Snort running on Linux.
    (linux sux)

Back when I started learning Linux is really when I got deeper into security. It's a shame I haven't even attempted any Redhat certs, I'm more comfortable a fluent in an open source environment than I'll ever be in Windows.
  • Options
    EverythingPCownerEverythingPCowner Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PIX Firewall
    Alabama or Bust!
  • Options
    princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    The posts here are interesting and inciting towards Linux. Its great :)
    Knowledge is life
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I don't really think Linux sux, I just don't use it. For some reason it reminds me of star wars and its followers. :D