Honest opinions about CCNA

My buddy (in IT industry). Has told me it would be in my best interest to get my CCNA before my Mcse. I just got my A+, but I am curious what you guys who have done both and all think? Is it possible? is it stupid?

pandimus
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Only take the CCNA when you actually plan to become a 'networker'... Network+ is about the level you should be on before taking CCNA, although it isn't necessary or required. A CCNA should be able to configure Cisco routers and switches, if you're not planning on doing that (i.e. you want to be a system admin) taking CCNA is a waste of time and money.

Also note that CCNA is much more difficult than CompTIA exams as well as most MS exams. Besides the higher passing score, hands-on is really essential, i.o.w. it's hard to learn from just a 'book'.

If you are planning on becoming CCNA and MCSE, it's more typical to take the MCSE, or MCSA, first.

But it surely isn't 'stupid', CCNA is still a valuable certification and also as a system admin it can be important to have basic Cisco router knowledge.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    I definitly do plan on taking CCNA, but I do plan on Mcse. My friend just thinks it would be more invaluable for me to be CCNA, first.

Basically I have one year left in the Airforce, and lots of leave to take. I would like to get as much knowledge as possible. (not just the paper certs). I have a little workplace knowledge and have the ability to get more while I'm in I/e volunteer on the current base i'm at..

pandimus
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It's just hard to get a job where they will actually let you touch a router with 'only' a CCNA cert. If you have MCSA or E you'll be able to get sys admin /net admin jobs and that experience + CCNA might enroll you in a real networking job.

It's best to have 2 actual routers (2500) and a switch to practice for the exam, but for most people a simulator can work out just fine.
    I do plan on buying that equipment.. But i think right now concentrate on my mcse. and then I will have a few months to get my CCNA.

(i should be able to take NEt + by the end of this week)
    Then I can start on my MCSE.
    pandimus
    oh yeah, when I said is it stupid? I meant is it stupid for me to take CCNA firt before mcse.

pandimus
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    pandimus wrote:

Basically I have one year left in the Airforce

really? you're a private, corporal, sergeant, .... lieutenant, what? :D

A friend of mine got a job at the Royal Navy (aboard one of those massive ships). He's doing real hard rough Cisco stuff. I think he's got a CCIE (a cert I used to admire. not anymore though, after webmaster told me it's dead hard). I think he’s stationed in the communications office or something. Anyways, I'm not surprised we don't find MS around battle ships, satellites, space ships… etc. Looks like the hard stuff is left for the others ;)

I believe that CISCO is the true breed of networking equipment. Their engineers of course the best. (that's my .02 cent, don't know what others think ;))
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
    Us here in the airforce dont have privates... Well... We have privates, we just dont call our people that..

Airmen is the lower ranks and sergeants are the upper
    I am a Staff Sergeant (E-5). I just hit my 8 year mark. I guess i could sit it out and wait for a 20 year retirement. But the 3000 dollar check a month doesnt seem worth what I could make. Plus the years of torture getting there.

There is tons of equipment on my base. After I get a few certs under my belt i will go and volunteer to work for them in my spare time. (for experience)

pandimus
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Goto AirForce Reserve, if u don't want ACTIVE DUTY...

CCNA is always go to know and I consider CISCO give u strong background on networking while MCSE give u more on MS AD (limited on LAN function).. in my opinion.. :)
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn