Options

Interview mistakes...

2»

Comments

• Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    N2IT wrote: »
    It really is ridiculous. But it happens and be prepared to answer the questions.

I've been in an interview as one of the interviewers and the hiring manager went straight to the gap on this kid. Never mind the CS from Saint Louis University which is a great CS program or the two internships with Nestle or the 3 years at another fortune 100 company. I want to know why you had 3 months from this job to this job.

It didn't even follow the job history he jump straight to it. Needlessly I don't have to say I think it's idiotic but I can't control it and it has to be dealt with.

That's incredibly stupid. That individual should not be conducting interviews cause they don't have a clue.
  • Options
    65026502 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a 7 year gap. It'll be interesting to see what people say the next time I'm job hunting compared to when I was looking for work right after the gap.
  • Options
    CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be sure to check the weather before heading to a interview. I was on my way to a interview one day and got caught in a storm without a umbrella or jacket and by the time I made it inside the place I was soaked. It was funny how the receptionist seen me and felt so sorry for me that she offered to stall the hiring manager so I could go to the bathroom to try and dry myself off.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When in rome do what the romans do, some interviewers want to really drill on the tech stuff, some barely touch it, I've interviewed for senior architect positions where I was only asked two or three tech questions. Go with the flow and don't try to oversell yourself. Believe it or not, sometimes this means that they have already picked you before they met you, but now they want to determine if you will fit in and work and play well with others.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Question regarding interviews...
    You know how you always get asked extremely irrelevant questions?
    Tell me some of your flaws?
    What is the current version of http?
    What happened to you XXX that you wish you did different?
    What is the current version of Joomla?

Stuff like that, google questions, stuff that will not give them a glimpse of your talent, knowledge, worth, troubleshooting, assessment skills, etc.

Do any of you ever call them on questions like this? Like... I sincerely don't know what is the joomla version, but that is easily answered by googling.
    Or straight ask them, how an answer to that question will help you evaluate me better?
    meh
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    Don't ever wear cologne to an interview either. This snafu cost me a position with a company.

This, and also make sure to double check you remembered to put pants on when leaving the house. I can't tell you how awkward it feels, let alone drafty and uncomfortable.
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From the other side of the table, the folks that are conducting the interviews, learn to scope the questions down to the position. I've been on hiring panels for basic help desk techs, system engineers, all the way up to CISO's. I've had people ask the candidate, "Tell me the layers of the OSI model and compare that to the TCPIP model. After you done that, please tell me the significance to each of the layers, and how it correlates to your job as a proposal coordinator." One thing that I will say, please be prepared to back up the skills or experience that you mention in your resume. The worst is that you copy and paste every keyword out there, and can't even remember anything about it.
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    6502 wrote: »
    I have a 7 year gap. It'll be interesting to see what people say the next time I'm job hunting compared to when I was looking for work right after the gap.

This is where being extremely clever pays off. Were you unemployed or a programmer? If you were a programmer for those years can you produce code? That's how I filled it.
  • Options
    stylezunknownstylezunknown Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    those are questions that only a *tr oll would ask.