Options

What was your favorite search engine BEFORE Google...

2»

Comments

• Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am kind of afraid to say that I actually used to use Yahoo search a lot. AltaVista was there for me here and there but Yahoo was my hub for everything back in the day
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Kai123 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Netscape Navigator?

Sure do and now a days, anyone using Firefox or Palemoon is using a derivative of Netscape Navigator, I used Navigator, cause I hated IE so much and continue to hate it, I am always looking at alternative browsers.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Altavista, hotbot and dogpile are the ones I remember using.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    frizfriz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Used to LOVE Webcrawler. Dogpile was a solid second for me.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    AltaVista, Dogpile, infoseek...mostly just Google nowadays...
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Altavista because I didn't know if there was anything else, thought it was the way you did things.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Back in the day when I was serving in the Navy in the late 90's, I would use only Hotbot.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kai123 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Netscape Navigator?

Loved Netscape and Alta Vista and although I've used Yahoo mail, I've never liked their search engine.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being born in '91, I don't even know some of the search engines you guys mentioned. I believe I remember using Yahoo back in elementary school, but it's been mostly Google.

You didn't miss anything. lol
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Altavista then Yahoo.

Then I hung out with the cool kids and switched to InFind. It behaved a lot like google.

Now it's google most of the time.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe I used Excite email and search engine for several years in the late 90's.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think I've ever once used Yahoo.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bryguy wrote: »
    Gopher!
    Did you ever use WAIS? Gopher was great because the protocol was so simply we used to just telnet to the gopher port and conversed directly with the the server but it was kinda inefficient for searching multiple gopher servers. I preferred WAIS over gopher.

Anyhow - my favorite search engine was the card-catalog at my local library before all this fancy internet stuff showed up.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I was a huge Altavista guy back in the day. I also used Lycos as well, and used Yahoo for the directories. Now it's purely Google (more by habit than anything else).

I'm only 32, but man I miss the old days of the internet, Geocities!!

I beg to differ, there was never anything good about Geocities!

I liked Infoseek and AltaVista until someone told me about this new thing, "Google or something like that, it's pretty cool."

Truth be told, my Internet presence predates the dominance of the search engines; I had a copy of "The Internet Yellow Pages" that I used to get around until '94 or '95 when I moved to a dialup SLIP connection so I could use a web browser instead of a shell session and Lynx.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WebCrawler anyone?
  • Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lycos/Hotbot, Dogpile, Northern Light.

Scour was a mp3 player and content search engine too.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Was also Altavista until someone said Google was much better in 2001. I seem to recall not noticing much difference except it was more minimalist.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was using the Mosaic browser on the Apple Macs when I was going to U of South Carolina back in the mid 90s'. Not sure what Mosaic used for search, I've gotten so used to integrated search in a browser that I am sure I had to go to some website in order to look something up....
  • Options
    TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The very first search engine I remember using was AskJeeves in first grade. That's the search engine I was taught with. I always used yahoo, until Google got big.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Altavista and Excite before I moved onto Yahoo. Now only use Google.......
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Oh excite, its been so long. I primarily used yahoo though. I want to go back some days, but I haven't had the gumption to change from google. it took me forever to change to it.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Infoseek, altavista, and then yahoo.
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Altavista and i miss Netscape.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Does anyone remember when you could customize the back ground of the IE bar? They had a ton of programs out there to make it easier. Yes this was ie4 and 5 days.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    colemic wrote: »
    Metacrawler, infoseek for me. Metacrawler consistently had better search results than anyone else at the time (for me at least.)

Metacrawler was the best! Was the easiest way to find guitar tabs :)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Does anyone remember when you could customize the back ground of the IE bar? They had a ton of programs out there to make it easier. Yes this was ie4 and 5 days.

Yes! Another of the relics of the past I miss.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excite.

Anyone remember the shareware applications that would go out to Excite, Yahoo, AltaVista, etc and search them all and then save all the links?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    JustFred wrote: »
    Altavista and i miss Netscape.

I not only miss the Netscape browser, but the old Netscape portal.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers