Options

Moving a blade chassis

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hello all,

I have been tasked with moving a c7000 blade chassis from one datacenter to another. While I would like to toss it in my truck and drive it to the new location, HP feels differently and would void the warranty. Has anybody had the privilege of moving one of these things and is willing to share their experience. Also, does anybody know of a moving company that does this?

Thanks,
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I needed to move one a few weeks ago, and HP positively wanted to move it themselves. Fine by me I said, they took it apart, packed it up, drove 25 k's, set it down at the new location and put it back together too and hung around till I confirmed all blades booted up and VM's were functional. I kept an eye on them all the time though.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If HP will do it for you, let them.
    If not, do both locations have a loading dock? Do you have a pallet jack? Can you order the packing material? Can you rent a box truck?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I would let HP do the move, have they quote a price to move it? remember if they do the move and they screw something up, guess who has to fix it, make sure and do complete back up on every single thing and store the back up far away from the chassis being moved, that way everything can be restored if needed, I went through several of these types of moves when in the Military and it is amazing what can happen.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    we hire a moving co and did a fork lift move, they didn't break to much
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thank you for your responses. I reached out to HP to get a quote to move the Chassis. Hopefully it isn't cost prohibitive as the CTO would rather toss it in a truck and move it. Ugh.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)