Options

Failed twice

crespincrespin Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
First time i had to much stuff on my mind and failed it by one question.
This time i thought i was totally ready no way i was going to fail and then i noticed the questions were a heck of a lot harder. Some of the questions i thought were way too advanced to be on an A+ test.
I dont know about any of you but i got a bunch of questions on server stuff. And some other stuff i don't remember ever reading in Meyers AIO.
Any recommendations on what i need to do to knock it out?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Sorry to hear you didn't make it this time icon_sad.gif

What are my recommendations? Get some more practice. Real-time, live hands-on practice. Apprentice with someone. Shadow at a computer-shop. Break and fix things in your own lab.

Remember, its not about just being able to say one has 'done' something to be proficient, but the repetition helps the individual to understand more of the 'why'

No real easy way to think of not passing twice other than you may need more time working with the OS and hardware to get more familiar with how things work together.

CompTIA gears the exam to someone with 500 hours of experience. However, that is up to interpretation. I'm not thinking that they mean that to be starting at zero and working 500 hours. Though it is possible that could be accomplished. I see it as someone was a board swapper for a while, being exposed to other computer issues, then gratuate up to a full-tech position. After 500 hours of full-tech work, then the are ready to take the exam. (IMHO).

Hang in there. Get more time working with everything, review the material, then take it again.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    crespincrespin Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    that second test was completely different from the first one
    i was thrown off.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Hi Crespin,

Sorry to hear you didnt get it,however dont give up hope stay at you will get it next time.

The main thing is to learn from the experience.

Think of it this way "You didnt fail this exam, you found two ways of not getting it".

By no means am i trying to rub salt into your wound's, the one thing you have is the knowledge of what to expect from the exam ie structure of the questions being asked.

Find i different approach to your studying read a different book on A+ OS Technologies - other authors have different ways of clarifying a topic.

Once again stay with it and you will have that A+ Cert on your wall.

Regards

Eamonn
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    EvilSkyEvilSky Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The thing is that I believe a lot of people such as myself dont have 500 hours of field experience, and the whole reason for the certification is to get a job, so its kinda contradictory icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    EvilSky wrote:
    The thing is that I believe a lot of people such as myself dont have 500 hours of field experience, and the whole reason for the certification is to get a job, so its kinda contradictory icon_confused.gif

Not necessarily true.

Some employers may list it as a means to weed out people, but the A+ exam is attempting to test individuals who have live experience not merely read a book or two.

What has now happened (IMO) is that people use the A+ as a benchmark for starting a career in IT. With a 40 hour work week, that is only 12.5 weeks. Or half a year for part-time work.

Taking certification exams is like going to school and starting with the final exam. You may pass, but it doesn't mean the testee knows the material. Fortunately, schools don't run that way, but instead require students to endure a 36 week school year (in the US) and in HighSchool take Mid-Terms and Finals to assess the knowledge.

The A+ exam should be used in a similar manner....get some experience with an entry level position, take your exam, pass, and move up the ladder.

I've known and worked with too many A+ certified people who think it means that they know the material when in fact they don't understand a darn thing about Jumpers, IRQ's, Bus speed - things that I think someone who claims to be certified KNOWS.

There are employeers who will hire people without an A+. One first needs a professional looking resume and good job interview skills, experience will come when they feel they can trust you'll do a good job.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    I agree, Im hopefully going to be certified but I dont feel like Im really ready to work well, of course I trust that I will adjust fine, but still..
    The problem is that a job that doesnt requiere the A+, is mostly what you get by knowing your uncles sister neighbour and such, and if not you have to agree to work for free for an outragous amount of time. So yes, I prefer taking the A+ first and managing to work with it, because after all I would start learning this if I wouldnt think im capable and see myself working in the industry.
  • Options
    EvilSky wrote:
    The problem is that a job that doesn't require the A+, is mostly what you get by knowing your uncles sister neighbor and such, and if not you have to agree to work for free for an outrageous amount of time.

This is not true. Plenty of smaller computer shops will hire part-time help (some even full-time) to work the store and assist with repairs as time permits. Some places will even start out new employees as board swappers (ram upgrades, PCI cards etc..). This gets the employee familiar with terminology, customer service (dealing with all those 'stupid' questions), recommendations for use, etc...

So, larger cities have plenty of computer places to inquire at. Smaller cities have fewer options, but they usually don't have to worry Compusa/BestBuy type chains that 'want' A+ people. Cable companies, small-mid sized businesses, co-op programs through school, etc... are all ways to find a good position. If you are not still in school, then you'll need to check your resume and follow up your cold calls with proper business etiquette to ensure they'll remember you if something isn't currently available.

I won't hire someone because they have an A+. Too many I've seen as of late who apply are more of a liability than an asset. icon_confused.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Than what is it good for? wasnt it an entry level certification?
  • Options
    EvilSky wrote:
    Than what is it good for? wasnt it an entry level certification?

Whether it is considered 'entry-level' or not (this debate has already been held). It doesn't make it a "Pre-Employment" certification. If you read the Objectives target audience, the exam is marketed to a candidate who is WORKING in the field, not someone who desires to be a technician a some point in their life.

It doesn't mean someone without a job cannot take the exam, but that is not the target.

As far as employers 'requiring' an A+. I believe I already mentioned it is part of the 'weeding' out process. Kind of like when a advertisment appears for a Network Administrator that requires 5-10 years experience working with W2k3.....how do you get 5-10 years experience when the licensing has only been out a short while??? Sometimes it is a poorly written ad. SOmetimes it is a way to weed out applicants. Sometimes it is a way to see if the applicants can defend why it isn't possibly to have 10 years experience in W2K3 or why they consider themselves as having 10 years expereince (i.e. they've worked with systems since NT or such).

It could really mean that an employer doesn't want to invest training time in an employee to get them up to speed on basic computer parts and operations. They want you to know (or know how to find) correct voltage settings, compatible hardware, proper system settings without 'training' the new person on this. This isn't unreasonable...it takes enough time to get someone familar with the new workspace, they should have to be taught how to do the job.

In this year alone, I have seen FAR too many 'oops's' from three people who were A+ certified that should NEVER have made those mistakes. THe mistakes were costly and 1 was potentially fatal to critical information. So I've become soured a little when someone boasts they are A+ certified. I'm A+ certified and the mistakes these people made were absolutely ridiculous for someone with a certification to make!

Just because stuff fits together doesn't mean you plug it in and add electricity to it icon_evil.gif

So what is it good for you asked? It is good for a technician who has worked and is working with computer hardware and OS's to establish a level of competancy. Whether or not this certification is targeted toward computer shop technicians, field technicians or private company technicians, it doesn't say specifically. I think it makes sense for a computer shop and a field tech to hold the certificate. For a private company, many times people are managing a part of their entire network and may need to be versed in more Cisco/MSCE type as they purchase large groups of identical hardware or only occassionally need to upgarde hardware as opposed to everyday someone new walks through the door with a different box and different set of problems.

I'd recommend it for anyone who will use it. However, many people have software or network based interests and could easily focus their time on the certication that will make a difference in their career.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    jedi_master_techjedi_master_tech Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I havent worked in this field,

But I just did a six month course as well as Cisco It essentials 1.

I got through the hardware exam quite comfortably.

I feel that you cant ever be ready for the work situation no matter how much theory you know.

BUT!

You do need to start somewhere.

Or we will never have a job, thinking we are not experienced enough.
    You just need to get out there and be adventureous,

And the theory you know will back you up strongly.
    Jedi_master_tech

Legend technician