Options

Internet of Things - Are You Scared?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Seems the market is moving towards having an internet connection on every device. I'll agree there are some good aspects of this, but I see a lot of old mistakes happening again. The biggest thing I'm seeing is that inherent trust (much like when the internet was created). Are you planning on jumping onto the train or leave IoT where it is?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This has been a slow steady progression since people first learnt how to send an electrical signal down a wire. It wont happen over night, and it will always be segmented like it is now.

Yes every device in you house might be connected, but like now your phone is connected as much as your PC is, but there are many layers in them communicating with each other. Competition between companies means that there will never be a single "standard" for all devices ( or at least not for a very very long time yet). So like now there will be security issues with individual parts but the idea of a single person taking down the whole lot is an irrational fear.

Like now some systems like banking have huge amount of resources poured in to security, while others less so and this will continue as we continue to add more devices. so this is nothing new just progressing along the same line we have been travailing for the last 100 years or so. And individual system will have to prove them selves before they are taken up by wider society.

The technology I am more concerned with is automated driving, while on its own I think its great and pretty amazing, it's when people try to integrated an autonomous car with external communication. Some one hacking my fridge and changing my order is one thing, hacking my car and causing it to crash or just stop is another... I will, (as I would think any one should do), be looking at each technology as it comes along to see which i want to have in my house and in my car.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I have no concerns at all, as I know how to evolve and secure my devices, I started doing this before the internet and spent many years while in the military working with companies to develop protocols to combat malicious situations.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My concern is the lack of standards when it comes to internet connected devices at the consumer level. For example when HTC was fined by the FTC for failing to provide basic security and was even responsible for making their phones less secure. Then you have so many devices that are abandoned once they are released that may get used for years by consumers who use stuff until it breaks.