Capitol College

typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I just submitted my application and requested a copy of my transcripts be sent to Capitol College, so I am glad I have finally made the first step. I have not been able to gather too much information on what I should expect from taking the MSIA online, and I must admit that I am a little nervous. What kind of course load should I expect from this program, and is it something that will consume all of my time? What books should I read before hand to get a good idea of what materials will be covered? Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2

Comments

• AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome, and congrats on taking the plunge! I've been thinking about applying to pursue their doctorate, so I'd be interested in updates as you move forward.
  • revnedrevned Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,

I just submitted my application and requested a copy of my transcripts be sent to Capitol College, so I am glad I have finally made the first step. I have not been able to gather too much information on what I should expect from taking the MSIA online, and I must admit that I am a little nervous. What kind of course load should I expect from this program, and is it something that will consume all of my time? What books should I read before hand to get a good idea of what materials will be covered? Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

What semester are you planning on starting? I am starting this Fall semester which starts Aug. 25. I unfortunately was not able to waive CS620 which is a 16 week course on *nix OS and some programming. The courses are live which I prefer BUT also means time will need to be dedicated on those days the classes are held. I was planning to have a 4 course load per semester but was talked out of it by Sarah, the student advisor since it is my first semester.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I'm planning to switch to that program, transferring in credits from WGU MSISA because of tuition reimbursement issues. Waiting on my transcripts to be evaluated as well, but have been provisionally accepted and can sign up now (though i'm sure everyone can unless you need the GRE). It seems like a great program.
    I'm planning to switch to that program, transferring in credits from WGU MSISA because of tuition reimbursement issues. Waiting on my transcripts to be evaluated as well, but have been provisionally accepted and can sign up now (though i'm sure everyone can unless you need the GRE). It seems like a great program.

Shouldn't take long for your credits to be evaluated. I went from provisional to full acceptance in that same week. The issue with me is I signed up a month ago, and the suspense for the class to start is killing me. I dont know why I am all excited about doing homework and worst, maybe write an essay.
  • SigaroSigaro Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too have applied and I'm waiting for transcription evaluation.

Does anyone know what it specifically takes to get IAE 500 and CS 620 waived? I submitted my transcripts and resume as requested. I have a CISSP, several linux certs, and some programming courses and certs.
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Please keep in mind that this is graduate level work. There are lots of essays, risk assessments, homework, long hours setting up a virtual network, vulnerability mitigation papers, etc. Nothing is extremely difficult but can be time consuming.
  • typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh lord, I don't know how I missed what the CS 620 class was all about... I have never worked with Linux or Unix. Would it even be possible to learn what is needed as the class goes by?

I was wanting to start within the next month, but noticing Unix... I know networking and have done some IA policy work. So frustrating that I never took the time to learn it.
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can't speak to their class specifically but there is a linux class at edx that just started run by the linux foundation. It's free, might be worth hitting that too to pick up what you can on linux.
    Oh lord, I don't know how I missed what the CS 620 class was all about... I have never worked with Linux or Unix. Would it even be possible to learn what is needed as the class goes by?

I was wanting to start within the next month, but noticing Unix... I know networking and have done some IA policy work. So frustrating that I never took the time to learn it.

The CS 620 is sort of an intro course for new students who are not familiar with *nix systems as I believe the advance classes involved *nix. I spoke to the chair person about waiving CS 620 and he mentioned that a certification such as RHCE will waive the course or a well documented resume pointing out your *nix experience. Not sure about Linux+ being used to waive though. From what I understood, if you have not used *nix as an administrator you need to take this course as it introduces you to the system and learning to do shell scripting and some C programming. I was all bummed out about taking the prereqs but then I dont want to suffer later on in the advance courses because I thought I was all high-speed and thought intro courses wasnt my thing.
    Sigaro wrote: »
    I too have applied and I'm waiting for transcription evaluation.

Does anyone know what it specifically takes to get IAE 500 and CS 620 waived? I submitted my transcripts and resume as requested. I have a CISSP, several linux certs, and some programming courses and certs.

If you have an IT Degree or experience in IT then you will be waived for IAE 500. IAE 500 is geared towards students who are career changers and have no IT exposure. CS 620 May be waived based on job experiences in *nix environment and the sort of linux certifications you have. I spoke to the chair and he mentioned Redhat certification to be waived. I suggest that you speak to them directly. Hope to see you guys/gals in one or all my fall semester classes!!!
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have any of you began the MSIA program yet and if so how's it going so far?
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I am enjoying it. The instructors are great as are the classmates. It helps if you have prior infosec experience obviously .