Options

Printer directly connected to Cisco router

newt.chapmannewt.chapman Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a printer connected directly to a Cisco router but I'm having some issues. I have link lights on the printer and the printer grabbed an ip via dhcp. However the port the printer is connected to is listed as notconnect.

What setting is liable to cause an issue like this? I had bpduguard enabled and I read that could be causing the issue. I disabled it but still no luck.

The printer nic is set to auto negotiate and its max speed is 100 mbps. The port the printer is connected to is also set to auto negotiate. I tried changing the speed to 100 mbps on the port but I was unable to change it (speed command wouldnt work??).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    a couple of questions:
    - why is your printer getting IP address via DHCP? Do have some static DHCP binding?
    - do you see the IP-MAC entry on the router ARP table?

please post the configuration of the router port and a "show interface"
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    if it shows not connect , I have a feeling your printer is pulling a 169. who model Cisco device is this...highly abnormal to hook a printer up directly to a router. Are you sure its not a switch?

Edit: not as abnormal if its a router with a switch module...wanted to get that in before someone else called me out icon_wink.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    newt.chapmannewt.chapman Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It ended up being a bad fiber termination icon_sad.gif We had link lights when I first plugged it in but we ended up moving it and I think I frayed one of the connectors. I tested the cable to determine it was bad, re-terminated, plugged it back in and it was good to go.
  • Options
    you had fiber going to your printer?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm kinda confused as well lol. Why is the printer going to a router?
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fiber to a printer. nice.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    you had fiber going to your printer?

Right! wtf indeed.
  • Options
    Well at one point people where nucking futs about fiber...I worked at a nice hospital where they had fiber drops going to work stations and desktop had fiber cards. This was very short lived and terrible maintain so in theory that could be what he had...having it hooked up to a router still seems suspect but hey who knows, more then one way to skin a cat and if your shop is tight on the budget you find a way to make things work!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Well at one point people where nucking futs about fiber...I worked at a nice hospital where they had fiber drops going to work stations and desktop had fiber cards. This was very short lived and terrible maintain so in theory that could be what he had...having it hooked up to a router still seems suspect but hey who knows, more then one way to skin a cat and if your shop is tight on the budget you find a way to make things work!

I support an office that used to house FBI Agents. Apparently they had fiber to the desktops (much harder to tap/monitor I guess) and that stuff is still in the baseboards of the modular furniture.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    i'm guessing gov as well. I remember the fiber everywhere idea. Including fiber to the desktop, but connection from the wall to the switch was UTP...
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It ended up being a bad fiber termination icon_sad.gif We had link lights when I first plugged it in but we ended up moving it and I think I frayed one of the connectors. I tested the cable to determine it was bad, re-terminated, plugged it back in and it was good to go.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but are you saying that your printer had a fiber connection?