Options

Cisco 1721 WAN interface card

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

which one of these card will serve the purpose that I'm trying to accomplish?

As shown in the picture, I'm using the one 1721 with serial connections to link the other 2 network and then using the top router to connect to the backbone MDF switch.

However I've run into a hurdle that the 1721 I have only have a T1 SCU/CSU card and a modem card so I'm pretty sure I need a different card for another 10/100 ethernet connection.

...But which card do I need or will work for this purpose? - I can only find two; just not sure which will work or if they just make a solo 10/100 ethernet wic card.

Cisco WIC 4ESW 4 Ports Wan Interface Card | eBay

Cisco WIC 1ENET 1 Port Ethernet Wan Interface Card for 1700 1721 1760 Routers | eBay

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To connect to a switch, you'll need an Ethernet port. If the Ethernet port on the 1721 is already used, then you'll need a Ethernet WIC. The WIC-1ENET is a single routed port and the WIC-4ESW is 4 Switched Ports if I remember correctly. If you want to do RoAS Inter-VLAN Routing, go with the WIC-1ENET.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    theodoxa wrote: »
    To connect to a switch, you'll need an Ethernet port. If the Ethernet port on the 1721 is already used, then you'll need a Ethernet WIC. The WIC-1ENET is a single routed port and the WIC-4ESW is 4 Switched Ports if I remember correctly. If you want to do RoAS Inter-VLAN Routing, go with the WIC-1ENET.

Yes basically the function I'm seeking I guess would be RoAS; I just want to link the 1721 to the HP Procurve 2910al-48G-PoE+ L3 switch so I can route traffic to the primary network and then out to the internet. As it is right now the MDF (the procurve) has a connection to the internet so I just need to connect the 1721 again to the MDF switch.

I'll get the 1ENT card; thanks for your help! - just wish it was 100 BT not 10 BT icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Both are supported by the 1721 according to the product page so either will do, but my vote is for more ports. As you've already seen you don't want to run out of connection options. There are differences in the cards like Theodoxa said, but both would work.

Cisco 1700 Series Modular Access Routers - Interfaces and Modules - Cisco
    LAN Interface Cards - Cisco
  • Options
    PutneyPutney Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I had a 1721 with a WIC-1ENET I remember having issues with Router on a Stick. I'd be interested to see if you were able to get it to work.