Options

Love my new job as a Network engineer but

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
I love my new job as network engineer. I came from a credit union IT manager background but now pure network engineering.

I can see how much new skills I need. I can see why cisco pushes debugs
wow we have to ssh into routers and switche via jumpboxes
and our laptops are locked down.YOu cant do or add anything without prior
approval wow not use to that but I guess it I good. You cant do any screen recording
only screen shots. but I love my job. You have to be forced think about all the details
you have to see things and how things are connected by show commands and debugs
and topology maps are hard to come by. but love it
soon they say I can work from home in a year working on tickets wow cool

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Wow sounds like your a pretty tightly controlled shop. Even when I worked in the Alphabet gangs we didn't have that many restrictions.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome to the club! I quite enjoy being a Network Engineer too :)
  • Options
    thanks guys yeah way restricted but it is a banking services company ...on the reviews it gave for this comapny reviews
    but I have nothing but good happen to me. yeah you can't even stick a usb to you laptop. all has to controlled due to security
    and PCI compliance but I am okay with it I know once I get working from home I cann use my home system to setup scenarios on GNS3
    so I can test things. But so far I am loving it. I do nothing with the NOC I just build edge routers and send them off to financials and config the
    I use your typca routing prot. BGP, prefix lists, NAT and route maps but it is all fun and I am okay with having to push more show commands
    and debugs just kind of fun...so yeah this is what is so far great and diff from my last job:

IT Manager for Credit union
    -Under paid
    -on call 24/7
    -people I worked under new nothing about IT
    -had to work ever new years night and day doing bankprocessing
    -had to work end of month/quarter processing worked normal 16 hour day expected
    - min hours per week50

new job as network engineer for bank and credit unions
    - paid way more and what I a wort
    - no end of months, quarter, newyears work
    - we do after hours work but with a cool team of guys loveit
    - work with cool people who appreciate IT
    - wee 40 min a week and they work with you and family time if they can help it

it is a hole different world where I work no and soon I can work from home.
    just awesome....and all the stuff I want to learn I can use towards my CCIE goals and just move up in time so cool
  • Options
    I sit next to this windows admin and I do not want his job. I love mine hahahahahha LOL! if you know what I mean...haha thanks guys

but I have long way to go compard to you guys...I am happy with my job and feel the only way is UP!
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Congrads on the new job.

Its a bank, they have to take IT Security seriously (think PCI-DSS). I worked for a bank and there was no silly games on the IT side of the house.

Ask yourself, would you bank with someone that didn't take IT security seriously?!!?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    jock yes it is PCI compliant big time..and I do agree this company is tight for a reason. even net admins don't have admin rights to their own pcs everything is departmentalized and controlled big time but I have one job and love it don't have to be jack of all trades anymore just net engineering only love it ;)