Options

Best book for CCNA study

zholling10zholling10 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey everyone,

I am planning on studying to take the CCNA by December. I am wondering what study materials worked best for everyone out there? Any books, blogs, videos, or any other study material that really helped? Thanks everyone! icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    GhostintheShellGhostintheShell Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zholling10 wrote: »
    hey everyone,

I am planning on studying to take the CCNA by December. I am wondering what study materials worked best for everyone out there? Any books, blogs, videos, or any other study material that really helped? Thanks everyone! icon_study.gif

I found Todd Lammle's book very well written. It's like a conversation. For even more depth of the material, look to Wendell Odem. His books are more technical, but a bit dryer. I would also use video sources as well for the visual aspect. CBT Nuggets, Chris Bryant's series on Udemy, or INE's on YouTube.

....and I can't stress this enough either get lab real equipment for labs, download and use GNS3 (there will be some minor limitations, but Google will help if you hit a snag).

So to master the material:

1. Read It
    2. See it
    3. Do it

Hope this helps ya.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I say the same thing to everyone that is starting out. There is probably to much information available online for CCNA.

I suggest one video series and one book. Then get real gear or simulators and practice everything. Nothing makes sense until you see it work once.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Best?

I believe that is very subjective and it will be based on your style of learning and studying, I have been through several different books over the last 6 months and found the teaching styles are very different, find a source that fits your style and run with it.

Good luck.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    RonozoroRonozoro Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will take my exam next October and my study martial is :

1-Odem's Book.
    2-CBT & livelessons videos.
    3-boson netsim (you can use also GN3 or packet tracer).
    4-some practice exams.

of course you can see Lammle's book and Chris Bryant's videos ,but i suggest you stop looking for martial and start from now
  • Options
    djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What worked for me:

1. Todd Lammle's Routing & Switching Study guide that covers the 100-101, 200-101 and the 200-120 (or whatever the composite CCNA exam is; I took the two exam route).

2. Follow along with the examples/labs in Packet Tracer (some of the commands will not work, but it's not that important for CCNA-level stuff).

3. Complete the written lab questions in the book and make sure you understand the questions whether you got them right or wrong.

4. Pass the ICND1 with a 960 because Lammle is awesome; pass the ICND2 with a 986 for the same reason.

Again, this is what worked for me. I started going through the CBT Nugget videos but found myself inundated with almost too much information. Like what Jon_Cisco said above: there's probably too much info available for these exams (which is a nice contrast compared to what I'm going through with the Microsoft 70-640 exam right now). Find something that you can comfortably read and understand. Lab with a network simulator that works for you (PT, GNS3, both, etc.). You'll be just fine. These exams are not easy (at all), but they're by no means difficult, either.
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    For the book resources, I used Todd Lammle's book for both ICND1 and ICND2. I also used a lab book from a router reseller with tons of configurations.

Good luck.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Bryant_ChBryant_Ch Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

Just trying to decide if I should go with the official cert guide (Odom) or Sybex/Lammle. I gather from this thread and also this list here (www.test-study-guides.com/it-certifications/best-ccna-book) that the Lammle books are more accessible and clearer, so might go with the Sybex Complete Study Guide. I'm looking to take the 200-125 exam.