Options

CCNA Vs MCSE

djjitdjjit Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm on the verge of completing the CCNA. I am hoping to tackle the MCSE next, therefore, just like to know how hard is the MCSE compared with the CCNA? How much study time does one need to put in (average)? How much hands on experience do you need? Are there any helpful links/websites out there? I know the stuff in the Microsoft forum is tops, I will be browsing the MS forum in the next few weeks.

Finally, would I be better off doing another Cisco exam such as the CCNP or CCIP (Network QoS appeals to me) rather than the MCSE?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    im sure you know.. MCSE and CCNA are compleatly different..for the most part...

i would say CCNA exams are harder as the require more than just book knowledge.. router sims ., and actual router experience is key...

i think MCSE is geared toward Administration as CCNA is toward implementation, engineering.. if that makes sense.. if i am wrong. some1 correct me..

if your already going for the CCNA.. stay on track and get the other Cisco certs...

my personal path is like this.. CompTIA -> MCSE -> CCNA..

my experience with cisco has been brief but extensive .. i was thrown in a situation where the only person who knew cisco and did our cisco stuff was out on leave for gettn married.. the next person inline who could possibly adapt and learn it was me.. and i did.. in3 days i knew how to script, deploy, and troubleshoot the 2500 series routers ,, i brought up 2 buildings and troubleshooted about 3 with the pop @ qwest.. it was fun.. but i havent touched it since..

stay on track.. dont jump platforms .. once your done, get on the next one.

2cents
  • Options
    bob johnsonbob johnson Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree. You are already doing Cisco so keep on track with that. Once you get into the MCSE stuff it will be a while before you get back to Cisco and then you might have to learn some stuff all over again.

It would be the same thing if you had taken on Microsoft test. You might as well continue on since the kind of build on each other.

Just my 2 cents... icon_wink.gif
    Bob Johnson
  • Options
    Tokhss & Bob,

I can't begin to thank you enough. I had no idea about the MS certs. Like you guys say, it is two different platforms & I'll be better off building up for the next stage with Cisco.

The reason prompt me to ask this question in the first places was; most of the time when IT/Networking jobs are advertised down here (Australia) the employers look for both MCSE & CCNA qualifications. Hence, I decided to better my chances in getting employed by having both certs. I had no clue for the reason behind this, but thinking about it now; it seems that they (employers) are trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Good luck to both of you in your chosen fields. Thanks again :P

djjit
  • Options
    NP.

It's the same here. Some of the jobs they have listed have everything and anything. I guess with so many people looking for IT work now they might as well ask for the kitchen sink since they get so many people applying.

But, for your studies it makes sense to stick one track out and build on that knowledge.

Hope all goes well for you also! :D
    Bob Johnson
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    NP.. goodluck with your exams.. and your right about seeing both MCSE and Cisco on job applications.. as competition grows, employers will need further measures to bring some1 into their organization, therfore.. the demand of skills will be higher.. killing 2 birds with 1 stone is exactly what it is.. heck.. you gotta be multi-tasking now.. a single person doing a single role doesnt mean a single duty.. not anymore atleast.. i used to do the job of 5 positions at once in a small company.. it was hell. but boy did i get good experience..

goodluck.
  • Options
    Yea, my first job I was the only IT person at a health care facility with multiple sites!

Great experience though! Some days it was really fun and others... Well, I think that is why I am partially bald now!!! icon_eek.gif
    Bob Johnson
  • Options
    henrock2henrock2 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you guys have a good point, but i would suggest to do like many cisco ppl. They stayed on the cisco path but at least took the w2k or xp professional and the server exam. Thats pretty much just to stay flexible. If you have the time and experience you could tackle those exams easily. But like they said it is hard if u plan on continuing on both of the tracks. But you can get your MCSA in a couple exams and then later on take the other two or three exams for your MCSE.

Personally, i don't know you, but if you really want it you can do it, like everything else in life,it just takes time.

Thats just my opinion. I found the server and w2k exams similar so i studied for both of them at the same time.
    I am going for broke, and i love every minute of it.
  • Options
    SecurityGeekSecurityGeek Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey ya,
    I'm new to the forum but it seems like a great place.
    IMO Look at where you want to be in 3 years. If you want to be a LAN Admin, building servers and adding users or creating print queues and all of the boring stuff then I suggest you go with the MCSE.
    If you want to be more than that I suggest Cisco.
    tokss had it right when he said MCSE's are more on the admin side and CCNx are more engineers.

SG
    It's only truly secure if it's not plugged in.
  • Options
    Top Stuff SG! its all making sense now. icon_wink.gif