Options

ICND2 - Redistribution

mooed_musicmooed_music Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
The exam topics for the exam do not mention redistribution, nor does Lammle's book. However, a lot of the practice labs from freeccnalabs and gns3vault have it all over the CCNA portions of their sites. Is this something from the older versions of the tests or should I be studying this topic for the test? More importantly, is redistribution a common practice in the real world?

Comments

• Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Redistribution is a CCNP ROUTE topic. I am studying it now. It is not on the ICND2 test.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Redistribution is used very much in the real world. When you have part of your network running OSPF and another part running EIGRP, the only way the routers will learn the routes is through redistribution. It wasn't on the CCNA when I took it a couple of years back but if you want to be an (engineer) you will have to know it.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    There is about 5 chapters in the CCNP Route book I am reading up on now concerning redistribution. Don't worry, he will eventually have to study it. ;) But for CCNA, I wouldn't worry about it on the test.

If he wants to play around with it, it is really simple to enable without filtering.

Here is a screenshot of a simple lab I have in GNS 3:

Set up Router 1 to run EIGRP. Set Router 3 for OSPF.
    Then on Router 2, advertise your EIGRP networks on the 10.10.10.0 network only. And then advertise your OSPF networks on the 20.20.20.0 network only. When doing a 'show ip route' on Router 2, you will see both OSPF and EIGRP routes.

Then you can redistribute OSPF into EIGRP, and vice versa to see what the external routes will look like on Router's 1 and 3.

Redistribution is easy. But it's all about the filtering, tagging, and using route maps that can be difficult at first to understand.

I feel like I have it down pretty well. I don't take the test until next month, so still another month of review and labbing to go.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe you're talking about redistribute static?
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University