Options

New Virtualization Build

gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
I see a lot of topics about building or buying machines for virtualization, so I decided to post what I am currently putting together. I have a rack and have done a few servers and other Cisco equipment, but I am getting to the point where I want current technology with low power and low noise.

-RaidMax CobraZ case
-Antec 500W PSU
-SM X10SLH-F-O Motherboard
-Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
-32GB Kingston ECC
-4X1GBe Intel NIC
-2X1GBe Intel NIC
-3x 256GB Samsung SSD
-2x WD Red 2TB
-1x WD Black 1TB

This build will be used for ESXi 5.5. Probably be in conjunction with my laptop (i5, 16gb, SSD) to run different labs and setups. This setup is backed by a Dell Powerconnect 2824, EdgeRouter Lite, and Unifi AP.

Comments

• Options
    Qasim_KhanQasim_Khan Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just curious how much would this lab setup set you back?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That storage might be overkill for a box that only has 32 GB of RAM. Why just buy a NAS at that point?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @iBrokeIT
    The storage is overkill. I just threw the spinning disks in because I had them. Most of the workload will be on the SSD's. I have a small NAS, but dont really use it for much anymore.

@Qasim
    Full price would probably be in the $1500 neighborhood for everything new, depending on sales and such. I had some of this stuff already though.