Options

Windows 7 not recognizing usb mass storage device formatted under Windows 2003 Server

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Background: I had to break into (given permission by my manager) an old server (Windows 2003 Server) to recover the data off of it, because all of the user ids/passwords were lost and no one knew what they were (I used Linux Trinity Rescue Disk to blank out the passwords on the SAM file).

I discovered once I got in that there was over 500 GB of data to rescue. We have something called Thermaltake BlacX Duet 2 TB Portable USB Device and from the Windows 2003 Server, formatted it with NTFS from Disk Management.

I then moved all of the data over to it, powered off the server and then powered it back on to check my backup. I noticed that the portable USB Device didn't auto detect, it now has a drive letter assigned to it. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here with Disk Management or not. I think this might be my sticking point.

Today we got different laptop (Windows 7 Professional) to test out the backup before I called it good and it would not auto detect the 2 TB Portable USB Device. I tried every USB port and made sure under BIOS that USB is enabled along with making sure USB is enabled under the Registry and still nothing.

I want to test another USB storage device to see how it is detected on the server/laptop. However, does anyone have any recommendations where I'm going wrong and how to fix it?
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are these disks dynamic or basic?

Maybe you have to import the disk by selecting "Import Foreign Disk" in Disk Management?
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Followup, my manager mixed up the ac power units and we were using the wrong one, thus it wasn't providing enough power to the Thermaltake BlacX Duet 2 TB Portable USB Device.

We now have the correct one and it is working.

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown