Options

Router ios upgrade help

StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
So, I'm planning on upgrading the ios on my 2 2651xm routers but I'm not sure what release I need...looking at cisco feature navigator and there's quite a few. First, let me say that my 2 routers have 256MB of DRAM and 32MB of flash and running C2600-IPBASE-M version 12.4(25d). I assume I can only get as high as 12.4 with xm routers or is it possible to get 15? If 12.4 is my max, should it be the exact one I currently have which is 12.4(25d)?
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry I don't know exactly which one you would update to.

I think what you are looking for is a version of advipservicesk9 that is compatible with your router.

This should give you IPv6 and SSH. I'm sure there is so much more then that but it's a start.

Jon
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    12.4(15)T14 is as high as you can go with a 2600XM, assuming you have enough DRAM and FLASH to run it.

[EDIT] To elaborate on the post above, Advanced IP Services should include everything you need (in particular IPv6). Advanced Enterprise will work also (includes everything in Advanced IP Services plus support for some old protocols that not many folks use anymore). The "k9" indicates that is supports encryption, which is required for SSH.

c2600-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T14.bin

c2600 -- For the Cisco 2600 Series
    advipservices -- Advanced IP Services
    k9 -- Includes Support for Encryption (SSH, HTTPS, etc...)
    mz -- The IOS Image is Compressed on the Flash to save space (z) and Run in DRAM Memory (m). mz is Standard nowadays. Some Really Old Routers (1600 series) didn't have enough RAM to load the entire IOS into Memory.
    124-15.T14 -- IOS 12.4(15)T14
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
    That cleared things up, thank you
    Currently reading Network Warrior
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    advipservices -- Advanced IP Services You need this puppy to do VLAN roas
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College