Options

WGU - BS Software Development

selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have posted about WGU before and have examined things and have decided to pursue a career in Software. However, I require some advice.

I was told by the WGU lady that called that I need to get certifications... she said that she would have someone call me to discuss what to do with the situation... It is now a few months later and I have yet to receive the call.

What would you recommend for certifications? I don't just want what would be helpful into getting accepted - I want the certifications that actually matter and will make a difference when it comes to my career. Also, I will have to take several General Education courses because a lot of my classes were taken pre 2009. So I won't have many classes transfer more than likely. Like... no courses nearly. Unless my Respiratory Therapy courses and A&P count, anyways. Anybody tested out of those with WGU?

Also, how is the assessment test?

I have an Associate's of Applied Science in Respiratory Therapy. WGU's site says that I should be able to knock out Gen Ed courses because of that. Anyone have any experience with this?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!
Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)

Comments

• Options
    moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For this degree program, the certifications they are looking for are CompTIA A+, Network+, Secuirty + and Project +. There are also some CIW certifications. As for your college class being before 2009, when speaking to the enrollment officer I would confirm because if you went to an accredited college they should transfer over. I do know the more than 5 years applys to certifications though. I am currently looking into this degree as well.
  • Options
    backinthe80sbackinthe80s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bump for any new info on the software development degree.
    I talked with an enrollment counselor and his best advice was to read the pdf.
    Does anyone know what languages will be taught? Why did they remove finite math?
    Is college algebra really the only math class in the curriculum?
  • Options
    KayskyKaysky Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was considering the software development program as well because I was interested in the mobile app classes, but I decided just to go the software route since it is more established, comes with 17 certifications, and there just isn't enough information on the software development program.
  • Options
    KayskyKaysky Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When it comes to transferring credits, I found WGU to be very accommodating! I graduated with a BBA in 2005 and was worried I'd have to take a lot of gen ed courses as well, but they were very fair. I'm pretty sure they will use your A&P classes for your science credit, they substituted some of mine.
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    If you want to finish some of the Gen Ed courses before starting WGU, go to Online College Courses That Fit Into Your Degree Program | StraighterLine. Their credits transfer to WGU and they offer the typical basics from an A.A. degree. The prices are really cheap and you get to go at your own pace, just like WGU.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    and u get 200 dollars off from wgu if you transfer classes from straighterline oh and you can also apply for their scholarship and i think its like 500 bucks
  • Options
    wahrheitwahrheit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    moe12 wrote: »
    For this degree program, the certifications they are looking for are CompTIA A+, Network+, Secuirty + and Project +. There are also some CIW certifications. As for your college class being before 2009, when speaking to the enrollment officer I would confirm because if you went to an accredited college they should transfer over. I do know the more than 5 years applys to certifications though. I am currently looking into this degree as well.

I start the Software Dev program on 9/1.

From looking through the courses in my degree program it appears to cover Python (Scripting and Programming - Foundations) and is otherwise HEAVY on the Java side of the house (So far from reading through various course material it appears > 5 courses are Java development intensive, including oddly Scripting and Programming - Applications?)

As far as math goes, it requires Probability and Stats (basic one) and College Algebra. I've previously had college level Calc I/II/III and DiffeQ, but would have liked a more structured study routine around finite math or linear algebra; I guess I'll pick those sets of knowledge up from Coursera/MIT OCW. There is also a Physics course, but from what I can tell it's non-calculas based, so no extra math there.

There's also the Java Associate and Programmer certs outside of the CompTia ones you mentioned. I'm previously certified on the 1.2 platform (yes, that long ago) I'm wondering if they will give me a voucher for the 805 (upgrade) exam vs making me take both the associate and programmer certs.
    WGU - BS in Software Development (9/1/2014 Start)
    Transferred: BVC1,C278,CJC1,IWC1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Completed: BNC1,BVC1,C175,C182,C278,C393,C394,CJC1,EUC1,EUP1,IWC1,ORA1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Left:C164,C169,C170,C172,C173,C176,C178,C179,C188,C189,C191,C192,C193,C195,C196,C199,CLC1,CRV1,EDV1,IWT1,SBT1,TYC1,TYP1
  • Options
    selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I finished my application and am mailing off transcript requests to WGU. I have looked into Straigherline and will definitely consider them for any classes I can because I can take those beforehand and not spend time on gen ed or intro IT courses when I can be working on mid-upper level courses.

Anybody know if any of the IT fundamentals courses? The Straighterline website went down while I was researching transferable credits, unfortunately.

I received my CompTIA Study Guide today... 1400 pages?! It will take me until November to study for that exam and then spend $370 on paying for the exam... that is more than all three of my Respiratory exams cost, by the way.

I finished the readiness assessments and am just waiting on the transcripts to be sent and evaluated. WGU's site says that if you have an AAS then you should not have to take most gen ed courses... hoping that will help me out so I can focus on just IT and not general courses.
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    WGU will not accept additional transfer class or certifications after you start. I am not sure if thet accept them after your evaluation. Perhaps someone can chime in. Good luck.