Options

Have Associates looking for friendly advice next degree?

whichwaywhichway Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Some Info I'm 38 have an AAS in IT. A few basic certs. My question is with the following in consideration what program degree should I seek.
Age, Looking for stability, Field with best financial opportunities.
I am looking at either BS IT Management degree, BS Information systems security, Or the general BS IT.

I like security however not sure based on current pay levels.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Might be a better idea to compare schools that you are interested in and see what degrees those particular schools offer. The curriculum can vary significantly between schools, even with a similar degree concentration.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's really hard to say, what do you want to do? First you have to have an objective then you can start to make a decision.

I would go with software or computer science if you want to get paid right away. In my area I know 21 year olds coming out of college (good universities with CS or EE degrees) landing starting jobs at 75+ in the midwest.

I would suggest a CS degree if you want to be in technology and get paid nicely.
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    Might be a better idea to compare schools that you are interested in and see what degrees those particular schools offer. The curriculum can vary significantly between schools, even with a similar degree concentration.

I will attend WGU
  • Options

That's the full list of WGU IT undergrad degrees. Honestly I would go with whatever interests you the most.

The Cisco stuff got moved to the Security degree, and the Microsoft stuff got moved to the Network Admin degree. There's now two software degrees to choose from, not really sure what the differences are, maybe someone else can chime in. The regular IT degree would be good if you really had no idea what route you wanted to go.

Either way, you'll end up with a Bachelor of Science. Can't go wrong.

If you want to concentrate on the business side of things and not the admin/engineering side as far as a career goes, the IT Management degree from the business school might be up your alley.

You mentioned pay scale. I wouldn't worry about that so much right now. Pay will come with experience, and to some extent certification depending on your chosen career path. N2IT gave some good advice regarding programming and computer science.

The most important thing is that you do something that INTERESTS you. You don't want to go through life making good pay and hating your chosen career. Again, if you're not sure right now, go the regular BSIT route and experience a little bit of everything. You can decide later what you want to specialize in and work on gaining experience in that field, as well as certs that pertain to that career path. The money will come with time and effort.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
  • Options
    Is that your recommended order or are you giving me link to the programs?
  • Options
    Link to the programs so other people can see what WGU offers and give you advice accordingly.

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can also change degree plans fairly easy if for some reason you go the regular BSIT route and want to switch to something else.