Options

Multi-site exchange setups

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have been looking via google and working through technet articles trying to find out how to set this up. Anyone here every do something like this? I wont be doing this setup, I will be assisting...I am just looking into how this will work.

The scenario is customer A has an onsite exchange 2010 server (inside of SBS 2011). They want to have a redundant/automatic fail over exchange server off site that will pick up if they go down and vice versa.

Microsoft calls this "multi-site exchange data replication" and gives a good high level overview of it but stops short of a guide or walk through.

What I have read to get here:

Multi-site data replication support for Exchange Server
Designing a Site Resilient Exchange 2010 Solution (Part 1) :: High Availability & Recovery :: Exchange 2010 Articles :: Articles & Tutorials :: MSExchange.org

The closest thing I have found to a walk through is this:
Preparing to establish multisite Exchange servers - TechRepublic

I think that techrepub link will achieve what we want, but I would like some input from others who have been here.

Comments

• Options
    tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    --chris-- wrote: »
    The scenario is customer A has an onsite exchange 2010 server (inside of SBS 2011). They want to have a redundant/automatic fail over exchange server off site that will pick up if they go down and vice versa.

If the failover includes DAG's (Database Availability Groups) you can stop right there since failover clustering is not supported on SBS 2011, you need a Windows Server Enterprise variant (at least on 200icon_cool.gif for that. The msexchange.org article refers to the usage of DAGs so that won't work with the SBS installation.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    If they really want a higher level of availability, your best bet would be to move them from SBS to Office 365. If you are set on staying on-premise, take a look at the Exchange preferred architecture to see how they recommend setting up Exchange 2013 for site and service resiliency.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks, the both of you. This has helped me figure out how to achieve this and temper the customers expectations down to something within their budget.

Learned a little bit on the way as well :)