Options

Northrop Grumman

Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone hear anything about the company? I'm looking to do network engineering currently, and they have some positions open for entry level net engineers. Any experiences with the company would be appreciated :)
2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

Comments

• Options
    MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    Great company and extremely tough to penetrate. Reach out and network with people who work there and your chances of getting hired will greatly increase.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I worked for Northrop Grumman as a subcontractor through my company. Their managements more looking our for their employees vs employees from their subcontracting company. These include recognition, promotion, and etc...but other than that a great company to work for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    One of the biggest defense contractors dating back several years.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds good. I put in an application just recently so I'm waiting to see if I make it through the rounds. Was for a network Engineer position 0-2 years of experience CCNA highly preferred so hopefully something happens :). They are looking for 1st shift though and I can only work second shift because of school, so hopefully something will work out.
    2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

• Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Adam B wrote: »
    Sounds good. I put in an application just recently so I'm waiting to see if I make it through the rounds. Was for a network Engineer position 0-2 years of experience CCNA highly preferred so hopefully something happens :). They are looking for 1st shift though and I can only work second shift because of school, so hopefully something will work out.

I wouldn't get your hopes up man. They really are a tough company to break into, especially for someone with little to no experience and still in school.

Best of luck though.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Northrop has a big campus in St Augustine. I always thought it would be nice to work there since I lived like 15 minutes from it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I worked for them (Information Systems) for a few years awhile back, I just remember their benefits package was really good.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My friend from college works there (I am assuming you are talking about the position here in Illinois?).

He has been there 5 years now and has nothing but positive things to say about them and has done well getting promoted internally.
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Companies such as Northrup have New Grad programs which make it easier to onboard with them. You may want to pursue their internship programs, and look for them at your school's career fairs. Make an impression.

Being willing to move and able to get a clearance is a big deal with these companies when they hire at school fairs.
  • Options
    exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any company "can" be good to work for. I was recently at NGC until my contract got bridged over. I had a good Senior Manager but a newbie manager that should have remained as "lead engineer". However, I have had worse in both larger and smaller companies. Your benefits will depend on what you negotiate. NGC likes to leave a lot of things "open-ended". I.e. "up to $7500 for tuition". That will depend on your Operational Unit (OU and Business Unit (BU). You might get all or none of that.

They are also very focused on cash flow. If your OU/BU is performing below expectations do not expect any tuition assistance.

Pay attention to the way they do employee reviews (this is how I got screwed by my manager). They have implemented a "goal" type system where you basically want to set as low of a bar as possible for yourself to make it look like you are an achiever (maybe they fixed this). I.e., you set a goal of one graduate class and take it, you met that goal. Another guy has a goal of three but only was able to take two, he fell short of the goal. The former individual will be ranked "higher". My manager did not bother to put down my pursuit of my MSIA and I was ranked lower than those who did like some meaningless cert via the SkillSoft portal.

They do have some cool brainstorming and collaboration tools that can be fun.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know someone at my company now that used to work for them (I believe as a developer). I pretty much heard the same thing about their benefits (paid for his Master's program) I wonder if they were such a good employer then why would one leave it?
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Good company. Take advantage of their learning programs if you get on. Massive amount of free certification based training as well as mentors to assist you.
  • Options
    swattz101swattz101 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    I know someone at my company now that used to work for them (I believe as a developer). I pretty much heard the same thing about their benefits (paid for his Master's program) I wonder if they were such a good employer then why would one leave it?

Government Contracting is a little different. The company has a contract for a set amount of years, then they have to rebid for it. If they loose the re-bid, a couple of different things happen. The parent company will find new contract positions for some of them, some of the contractors transfer to the new contract, and some find a new job somewhere else.

A lot of it depends on what is available when a contract ends. I just went through one of these and I am still doing the same job under a new company. Only a few of my co-workers were able to stay with the old company because there were not that many similar positions with other contracts. Most of my co-workers moved to different companies on completely different contracts.

--

If you try for a job with one of the bigger contracting firms like Nothrop Grumman or Lockheed and don't get the job, you can always try for a position with one of the sub-contracting companies, then network with some of the prime employees. A lot of the IT world and Government contracting world is who you know in addition to what you know.