Resigning After a Week?

Have anyone ever resigned the job after a week, when you get better offer? I am just curious....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    If I thought the other job was overall a better opportunity (pay, advancement, good company culture), I would resign in the blink of an eye, just have to really evaluate if you want to burn this bridge for that opportunity.
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Have anyone ever resigned the job after a week, when you get better offer? I am just curious....

I think there was also a similar thread about the shortest job you ever had. Wow, so one week?

I guess on one hand you could say better to do it sooner than later, if this new opening came out of the blue I guess you could not have expected it.

On the other hand what are you factoring into the decision? Is the pay similar or very different? What is making you consider this new job versus the one you just took?
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would if it was worth it. I quit a job after 2 days for a better opportunity without letting anyone know (I just clocked out and left). I don't even list that job on my résumé.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, especially when a significant amount of money is involved. Don't add the 1 week job to your resume. Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    Actually both offered the same time, but one start a week from another.

The current one is permanent employee position. The package include base salary, PTO, Holidays, Medical, 401K, and assume $11k annual bonus is $129,000.00. I just read the employee handbook, any work with compensation outside of the job require the management approval to avoid conflicts of interest, but I have been doing side consulting prior taking this job.

The second one is 12 month contract possible extension or hiring. $87.00/ hour on W2 with no benefit. Assume I work 40 hours per week and 52 weeks per year equal about $181,000.00/ year. Plus overtime if any. The cool thing about this position is that I can be at the client only 2 days per week. Most of the time the team work from home. I am running a side consulting and training, this position fits perfect for me. But after 12 months I might start looking again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like 181,000 + Overtime

The second job aligns with your consulting gig too! Not to mention you get to keep another revenue stream rolling which means more profits for your company.

I think it's an easy decision. Like others have mentioned do you have a wife and kids etc, they will play a big role.
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    No benefits means no PTO, so subtract a few weeks from that immediately, as well as no paid holidays. Wait until they scrutinize the hours you claim while working 8 hours a day from home... subtract some more. No 401k, so forget about the up to 17k in employer matched funds going into your retirement, and the fact that you won't be enrolled in a 401k yourself... so pay the taxes on your own 17k. Enroll in your own private insurance (not cheap compared to the corporate accounts). Just make sure you do the correct math before jumping ship... more often than not it's more cost effective to take the permanent employee positions.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    After looking at all of the things powmia said, I don't think the difference ends up being worth it going for a contract position, even if it's 12 months.

If you don't mind saying, what types of positions are they? Are you in the Dallas area? From what I've seen InfoSec positions are plentiful out that way. I WISH I had family out there as I would definitely consider heading that way.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd take $129k at a permanent position over $180K for a yearly contract.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It all depends where you are in life.

Quick cash in 12 months for a down payment on a home?

Stability and in poor health?

Most importantly, what career & job path will give you the most opportunity. I've gone from FT to contracting myself because I'm young, want the money, the experience and the hours. But, if I had a family, kids, mortgage, etc - I would be hesitant.
    :twisted:
  • MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I would if it was worth it. I quit a job after 2 days for a better opportunity without letting anyone know (I just clocked out and left). I don't even list that job on my résumé.

I just spit my tea icon_lol.gif
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went to a temp job for a day and then didnt return. It was along time ago when I was doing help desk lol. I went for a day , just shadowed some guy who was just talking to his buddies all day and never really trained me on anything. It was also very far, took me about 1hr and 45mins with horrible traffic. I said forget this and told the recruiter I was not going back. He was a little upset lol My car wasn't very reliable either and stalled from time to time, so I just said to myself, this was temp job was not worth the traffic and the stress on my junker car.

I dont feel bad about it, it was a temp job, to fill in for the guy that was suppose to be training me on the help desk. He was going on vacation. I dont feel they missed me either lol

and no I dont list that on my resume lol! Plus i didnt even ask for my pay for that day. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle. Just a big waste of my time.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX