Options

New job offer accepted, seeking words of wisdom

TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Just accepted a job offer as a tech support rep for a hosted desktop/voip provider. I am very excited to finally learn about doing IT work in the real world.

Is there anything I should focus on learning before I get started there? Any advice anyone could offer me in order to excel in this position?

The IT director who interviewed me told me that I would be allowed to study for certs/school during slow days. Is there a cert I should focus on after I complete my A+? I already got my Network+. I suppose I should go for my MCSA after I get that A+.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Scorp6Scorp6 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First off, congratulations!!! For desktop support Microsoft is a good thing to go for. Pay attention to what you enjoy doing and take note. You already took network+ so that's good. If you enjoy the networking, after A+ think about pursuing CCNA. If desktop support is more your thing, but continue with what you have.

Biggest thing you'll want to do is never lose an opportunity to learn, ask what your supervisors and coworkers are doing and offer your help. Don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone to learn. Good luck and enjoy the new job!
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say grab the Security+ to give you a well-rounded knowledge of basic IT. If you want to go down the systems admin route, then an MCSA would definitely be a good step. If you want to do networking then consider some Cisco certs.
  • Options
    TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I just signed up for Cisco classes and a sec+ class in my college.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good plan, I think Security+ is a good next step. Best of luck in the new position!