Options

I'm doing well with security+ but I can't pass network+

Disas_mainDisas_main Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I'm doing the practice tests in this site. I was unable to pass network+ but I'm good with security+ and fairly good with CEH. If you were on my place, what would you do learn more networking or continue with security?

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have the experience needed to answer this completely for you. The one thing that I would point out is it will be hard to be good at security if you don't know the basics.

A+, Network+ and Security+ are all meant to show you know that basics which is one of the reasons people refer to getting the CompTIA Trio.

If security keeps you engaged maybe you should keep studying it but I would plan on working in the basic knowledge as you go.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security and Networking go hand in hand in the real world. You can't be an expert in networking without being knowledgeable in Security and vice-versa. Study both; watch nuggets, read, practice test, labs, labs, and more labs.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    Security and Networking go hand in hand in the real world. You can't be an expert in networking without being knowledgeable in Security and vice-versa. Study both; watch nuggets, read, practice test, labs, labs, and more labs.

Well I'm dealing well with theoretical questions, my problem is practical questions. Mainly because I don't have any lab to experiment with.
  • Options
    newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get yourself VMWare, get Linux (CentOS, Kali, and a Windows Server) and just start playing around to get yourself accustomed to more networking and security tools. (Wireshark, CnA, Nexpose, Metasploit, all free tools)

We're in the same boat! But that's how you get yourself a lab! Good luck!
  • Options
    newjack wrote: »
    Get yourself VMWare, get Linux (CentOS, Kali, and a Windows Server) and just start playing around to get yourself accustomed to more networking and security tools. (Wireshark, CnA, Nexpose, Metasploit, all free tools)

We're in the same boat! But that's how you get yourself a lab! Good luck!

Actaully, I'm fairly good with analysing and exploitation. My problem is that I'm not familiar with hardware (switchs and routers, type of cables and it's speed etc..). Thank you for advice. Also you said taht we're in the same boat I don't know if you know this site Vulnerable By Design ~ VulnHub there are some cool security challenges.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    https://www.hackthissite.org/ has some good scenarios for you to go through as well.
  • Options
    BogeyhunterBogeyhunter Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently passed my Sec+ and Net+ and although Sec+ is considered the higher cert, I felt that Net+ was way harder. I actually have been going through a program with 7 other people and we all felt that Net+ was way harder. Everyone in my group scored well over 825 on Sec+ but some just barely passed Net+.

That being said, Net+ is a different animal then Sec+. The main things you need to know to pass would be:

1. OSI and TCP/IP model. Know them in and out, what each layer does and how they correlate with each other.
    2. Cabling types + lengths. Lots of tricky questions on this.
    3. Have a good understanding of subnetting.

If you can focus on those three things you should pass. Over the past year Ive passed A+, Sec+ and Net+. My first part of A+ I had one simulation, every test after has had 5+ Sims with Net+ having about 9 of them. I would recommend flagging the Sims and completing all of the questions then go back and do the Sims. I didnt finish my exam, I was about one Sim too slow but I still passed with an 780.
  • Options
    karl88karl88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed Network+ with a 825/900 last week. Right now I’m half way done reading a SY0-004 Security+ book. So far it seems like a rehash of what I already learned but with an emphasis on security. Much of it seems like common sense, some government stuff thrown in, policies and guidelines, etc. I haven’t gotten to the cryptography stuff yet. Although I’m not done with Security+, I felt like I learned a lot more in Network+, but I think this is due much to overlap.

How can you be good at CEH? Regarding Network+ practicality, just learn how to mess with a wireless AP and how to subnet.