Options

Need some resume tips for an entry level position

I'm thinking of finding some entry level work while I'm studying for my icnd2. Even if I don't get work right now I still want to have my resume ready for when I get my CCNA. Honestly, I just plan on putting my resume up on job sites like careerbuilder and just see if I get a bite and go from there. Anyways, This is only a rough draft, I'm sure it needs alot of tweaking. Maybe someone here can give me some ideas or corrections. Also, just want to say that I have zero experience in IT. Here's my resume below:

Name
Address
Cell
Email

SUMMARY
Recent CCENT with strong foundation in cisco technologies, ip addressing, and routing & switching. Familiar with packet analyzers such as wireshark. Hundreds of hours spent on labs with simulators and real equipment.

EDUCATION
High School – Year
Vocational School - Year
Currently studying for CCNA R/S exam

HIGHLIGHTS
· Assisting instructor in troubleshooting school’s network performance
· Making cat5 straight-through, crossover, and patch cable
· Working on my personal home lab of routers and switches, including a multilayer switch
· Excited and eager to learn new technologies
· Tutoring new students on basic networking concepts
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    you might want to mention what your degree is actually in...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would put your objective in there, you mention about yourself but not what you are looking for.
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe you could try and tie in some of your experience helping your instructor as volunteer work and asking him if he is okay with being a reference for you. Then you could sensationalize some of those statements such as "assisted with the overhaul of the school network by installing and configuring new equipment" "assisted the lead school IT Tech with network analysis and troubleshooting to improve dynamics and function"

Wording things that way makes what you did seem exciting and challenging, which I'm sure it was, but the way you described it comes along as very basic and might lead them to be doubtful of your abilities and technical knowledge. Make sure you finish ICND2 and get your CCNA so you can expand upon your knowledge and get a broader picture of the way things work.