Options

What I've learned

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
Want to feel like you know absolutely nothing about virtualization? Chat with few VCDX for a while. icon_sad.gif
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Isn't that refreshing in a way, though?

Have you ever tried playing a video game that you enjoy with **** codes? And then easily beat the game? The game quickly gets boring....and then you wish you had never known about the **** codes.

You should revel in the never ending complexity! This is a great and exciting challenge to be enjoyed. You didn't do all of this for nothing, and your knowledge is valuable.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are at VMworld? I would love to be there right about now...

I feel I know nothing about virtualization even tackling the VCAP-DCA, I dread to think the level I don't know exists!!

I love your 2014 certification goal BTW! if a little hard on yourself! :)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Story of my life every time I walk into a SANS class.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Story of my life every time I walk into a SANS class.

Pffft. I get that just reading posts on TE from the likes of you, Docrice, Novahax, and others with a lot more in-depth technical InfoSec experience :D

But I agree with ehnde, it's nice to be able to keep pursuing the knowledge. If I knew everything about a subject, I'd have to find something else to start over in, because I'm the type that needs to keep learning.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's a limit to hard work. I don't think I have enough talent to become a VCDX. I'm ok with that.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    I don't think I have enough talent to become a VCDX. I'm ok with that.

Why would you say that? That's really not cool. Everything takes time....
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Why would you say that? That's really not cool. Everything takes time....
    I don't know Dave that well so I don't know if he has kids or not, but *I* never want to say the words "No Dad can't play football with you right now because he's learning something that he will never use in real life".

I think once you are earning six dollar figures motivation drops off and it's like top athletes they have enormous talent at their disposal and the others can never catch up with Usain Bolt. Some of them might turn to drugs to get the edge, others are OK with earning a couple million dollars for being 2nd or 3rd.

It's Dave's decision if he wants to fight on or not. Personally I didn't like hearing on twitter that the VCDX:NV didn't have to complete all of the documentation that the remaining candidates would have to. It's like it was candy handed out to those most connected in the VMware world.

I will try my best to get to VCAP-DCA & VCAP-DCD but that's as far as it goes, if I get there at all. There's more to life than certifications.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's a limit to hard work. I don't think I have enough talent to become a VCDX. I'm ok with that.

Dave old buddy. Never say never

That sounds like something Sean Connery said, he later came back on his word. The title of the film has nothing to do with the actual story but is based on what Sean had said earlier. I'm going to quote you on this comment a few years from now if we are both still alive and in good health :)
    The film was directed by Irvin Kershner and, like Thunderball, stars Sean Connery as British Secret Service agent James Bond, 007, marking his return to the role twelve years after Diamonds Are Forever. The film's title is a reference to Connery's reported declaration in 1971 that he would "never again" play that role. As Connery was 52 at the time of filming, the storyline features an ageing Bond, who is brought back into action to investigate the theft of two nuclear weapons by SPECTRE.

Never Say Never Again - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think I have enough talent to become a VCDX..

Nonsense .. If you'd have said "I don't think I have enough time to become a VCDX" - I'd believe you ... at a push :D

Talent .. that's just rubbish :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

Just from what I've read from you on TE, it seems that you are already really successful in your work so I understand asking the "why?" of going to the next level, but don't shortchange yourself, I'm sure you have the talent.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I don't know Dave that well so I don't know if he has kids or not, but *I* never want to say the words "No Dad can't play football with you right now because he's learning something that he will never use in real life".

This is so true. It's been tough to get certifications because I refuse to spend my time locked away in a room while my three young children grow up. So I have had to wake up at 5am, study at work and on lunch break, at night, and during nap time. I can't even tell you how many times a study session didn't happen because my oldest asked "daddy can you play". I guess that's why it takes longer to study for a cert than most, but I'm ok with that.
    JustFred wrote: »

Wow all these years and I never knew that. Thanks for dropping knowledge.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Try having a coworker at the same level as you who is is a VCDX! Kinda feel like he should be pushed up into a bigger role. Quite hard trying to work up to that standard.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Personally I didn't like hearing on twitter that the VCDX:NV didn't have to complete all of the documentation that the remaining candidates would have to.

I had the exact same thought initially too when all of sudden dozens of people became VCDX :NV's too. I have since read that all of them had to go through the same process as any other DX candidate. Only difference was they sat through an intensive training course that lasted 3 months or something crazy.

There was this thing on Twitter that VMware were handing out the certification more easily these days. That isnt true either, the defense is still as difficult as it used to be. It's just that the certification is gaining traction and more people are attempting to get to that level. Till about 6-9 months ago I never saw a job on the job boards asking for a VCAP/DX certification, nowadays though I see like a job every 2 months or so.
    I will try my best to get to VCAP-DCA & VCAP-DCD but that's as far as it goes, if I get there at all. There's more to life than certifications.

Totally agree here, hence why I want to get to the DX level before I have kids. I'd rather be playing with them than sitting cooped up in my study nook. To each their own I guess. As for Dave, he's a top notch architect, whether or not he gets to the VCDX.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Yeah, I found Chris Wahl's post about it afterwards. It being twitter it's possible the tone of the message was lost and it sounded sheepish - I can't find it now because twitter got real busy since VMworld started.

But I know now it was hardcore learning, bouncing off some brilliant minds for the VCDX:NV to gain traction in what will be a very important direction for VMware.

Good luck with the VCDX, I'll be cheering you on. And Dave too, if he decides to go for it - something tells me he will change his mind. Dunno why. :)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□

I think once you are earning six dollar figures motivation drops off and it's like top athletes they have enormous talent at their disposal and the others can never catch up with Usain Bolt. Some of them might turn to drugs to get the edge, others are OK with earning a couple million dollars for being 2nd or 3rd.

It's Dave's decision if he wants to fight on or not. Personally I didn't like hearing on twitter that the VCDX:NV didn't have to complete all of the documentation that the remaining candidates would have to. It's like it was candy handed out to those most connected in the VMware world.

I came to this realization about 2-3 years ago. I have the ability to do much more, but it just isn't worth it to me right now. I am at a point where I can't do any more without giving up something that I value much higher.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...