Options

Finally Going to Get Some Networking Experience!

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
I started my IT career 2 years ago at a small MSP after ataining a few Microsoft certs, this field wasnt just something that I was "trying out" I have known that IT was my only path for quite some time. It didnt take long after finally landing an IT gig to realize that networking was my true passion, the hands on, technical nature of it just suits me well. So I started studying, I managed to get my CCNA a few months back and have landed a new job with a much larger company (with multiple sites and Cisco gear!). This was a lateral move for me in to a help desk role but I have made it a point to get as involved with the network and systems team as possible even convincing one of them to take me on a field trip and show me some remote locations as well as our data center, I have also made it clear from the start that I am very interested in the networking aspect of things while proving that I can manage my current workload as well. I have been front and center each time a network issue or task came up making sure that I learn as much about our environment as possible, you get the point ;).

Well I am finally getting to go hands on, I was asked to map out the topology for one of our remote locations and create a Visio diagram. While this may seem like a trivial task, it is exactly what I have been hoping for (unfortunately my company has some pretty terrible documentation so learning our network has been challenging). I have also been asked to submit an official request for switch and router access...thats huge!!!.... for me anyway. I am very excited to undertake this task though it should be pretty simple, this will at very least give my boss the piece of mind that I can get under the hood of our network without bringing it down, hopefully opening the doors to some more involved tasks in the future.

The best part about all of this is that my company is currently looking for a dedicated Cisco guy, we are a medium sized company however so this person would need to get his/her hands dirty in other areas as well. I was told by our System Admin on our field trip that he believes they may be holding this job out for me as I am the only CCNA on the team (currently working on CCNP)...woot!

I must say it feels really good to see my dreams unfolding in front of me, this is a small step but I have worked very hard to get just this far, I am 3 years in to a 5 year set of goals and I am feeling like I am actually ahead of where I had planned. I am still not making the "IT bucks" just yet but I am building a solid foundation to a very satisfying career :).
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is awesome, congrats! This is what I'd like to happen with my job when I get my CCNA...
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been doing a desktop support internship for 3 months now.

I was asked to patch in 52 new hosts in the network cabinet for a new lab, and then test the connectivity on each device to make sure it can reach the router.

When I was asking to do it, it was like I was doing them a massive favour! I really enjoyed it and its great when it all comes together. I have a picture somewhere with the rack next to it (15 years old, no cable management at all, its like a creature of some kind). IT manager was well impressed.

I think for those like us, who want it bad before actual experience, even the mundane for most admins is like a dream for us.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Cheers to you man! that is great ...like I have said on here 100 times you cannot make an omelet without breaking an egg. I was the same way , on desk side support but desperately wanting to be on the network team. I socialized with those fokes came in unpaid for there changes and helped out and when time came to add capacity to the team yours truly was the prime choice. I have sense moved on but you are doing it exactly right man, good on ya!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"