Options

Where to go from here.

sbucklandsbuckland Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I am a student at WGU, so far I have recieved my cert for web design, Javascript, Net+, and Security+. In that order of completion. The certs I have left are Database, Project+, Linux+. Does anybody have any recommendations on what I should take next, leave for last, etc..etc..

Comments

• Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a word of caution, be wary of obtaining certs without the required experience for validation. I say the ones you have are enough, but if WGU requires you to obtain those certifications then go for it. If this isn't the case, then I'd hold off until you can get some work experience.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    Just a word of caution, be wary of obtaining certs without the required experience for validation. I say the ones you have are enough, but if WGU requires you to obtain those certifications then go for it. If this isn't the case, then I'd hold off until you can get some work experience.

I don't think it would matter much since they are entry-level certs that don't require any experience and they are required by WGU. He can always leave them off his resume too if it's not applicable at all to the job he's applying at.

As for the OP's question, would any of these certs help you in a job? If not, then it probably doesn't matter too much since they aren't related much. I did my Project+ early on and it was not too time consuming although it's pretty boring.
  • Options
    sbucklandsbuckland Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Net+ and Security+ are a big help right now as I am already in the IT field, and my Managers where Thrilled when I got them. Even the web design and JavaScript. The VP even offered me a position change into the Web design part lol. Really they are excited about all the certs I am getting and said I could use them all where I am at now, although, There is not any "raises" they still love that I am getting them.
  • Options
    auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WGU Student here. This may vary depending on how many months you have left in your semester and whether there is Financial Aid requirements, but I would go DB, Project+, and then Linux+. Why? DB is really easy not much material covered (mostly memorization, did it in about 2 weeks) , Project+ is easy but requires more memorization of the material and formula (solid 2 weeks), Linux is going to be your hardest of the bunch, also its actually 2 courses because there are 2 compTIA exams to earn your Linux+.

The reason why I said it may vary is this (hopefully I can explain it clearly). At the beginning of the semester you want to tackle the easiest stuff first and get the most CUs completed. When you reach your "goal" (usually Financial aid required 12 credits) you can concentrate on harder courses. That way if you do not finish the course work by the end of the semester you can just pick it up where you left off the following semester. So if you have 3 Weeks left in the semester and you're ok credit wise just study for Linux and enroll in the course for your next semester and start your next semester ahead of the game. But if you have time, do the easiest stuff.

TLDR: Easy stuff in the beginning of the semester, harder stuff at the end.
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams