Options

Rotate with Help Desk

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
So our boss wants us to start rotating our schedule so we work helpdesk as well. We are currently PC techs, so we are out with the users, and basically 2nd level tier support after helpdesk. I honestly hate that idea and would rather walk. Any of you guys ever run into this or what are your guy's thoughts? Also, they do not plan on compensating any more either. The help desk supervisor also is lazy and doesn't do anything which is why I think he is trying to convince our supervisor to get us to go to help desk so she will not have to cover any of her sick calls or anything.
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I've seen this 50 times before. Everyone always sucks it up.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Was promoted last year for Tier 2. After the new contract and the inevitable purge afterward, 2nd Level here takes Tier 1 calls when it's busy in addition to migrations and other Tier 2 tasks. It happens. If it is something that you can't handle, do what is best for you. I'm learning that in IT, the higher you move up, the more thinly you are spread...
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Did it numerous times during my desktop support years. I saw it as a break form running around. I was a SysAdmin at my previous employer and still had to man the phones on a few ocassions when all of help desk was on vacation, sick, or at a conference.
  • Options
    pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    Yeah im not opposed to the idea but our supervisors are so, "We are salary from 8 to 5 so we don't need to come in and you guys get paid overtime so you guys need to cover not us." That is the part that gets me. All my previous jobs that were not in IT all my supervisors were there right with us. You wouldnt know they were supervisors unless someone told you.
    WGU Complete: September 2014