Options

CCNA part of WGU's InfoSec but not NetAdmin?

proprioceptiveproprioceptive Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm new to this stuff and I'm trying to decide between a degree in NetAdmin vs InfoSec at WGU. I noticed that they have the CCNA cert as part of the InfoSec track but not the NetAdmin track. Then I started looking at some other certifications and noticed that the MTA Security cert isn't even a part of the InfoSec degree. To me, it almost seems like some of these certs are randomly thrown around. Anyone know why this is? I would just as much assume that the Cisco networking certs would be a part of the NetAdmin and not InfoSec.

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Network Design & Management stuff got moved over to the Network Administration degree, and the Network Administration stuff got moved over to the Security degree. Happened about a month ago. I agree it's weird.

If you want to focus on Microsoft technologies, go Network Administration (which should now be called "System Administration")

If you want to focus on Cisco technologies, go Security.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    MTA Security is a very low level cert. No reason for it to be in the Security emphasis.
  • Options
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    MTA Security is a very low level cert. No reason for it to be in the Security emphasis.

From what I read about the cert, that seems understandable, but moving the Cisco certs from Networking to Security just baffled me.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    If you continue for your Bachelor's degree at any school you are going to run into lots of anomalies. Don't let them worry you. Choose the best degree for you and be prepared to plow through some boring unrelated courses. Keep the goal as your top priority.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just went with the degree that had the best group of certs, which for me was the Security track. Not sure why they label them the way they do but I don't see it as an issue.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I read about the cert, that seems understandable, but moving the Cisco certs from Networking to Security just baffled me.

They already were in the security track, they removed them from the other one, they didn't switch them.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    They already were in the security track, they removed them from the other one, they didn't switch them.

Gotcha... I see that now. Thanks for the answers, everyone.
  • Options
    dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are there any classes on ms isa that can be replaced by a certification?
  • Options
    xinyxiny Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just finished the Web Technologies WGU Course in my IT: InfoSec degree.
    I don't understand why they took out the Java Programming Course but left the Web Technologies course (by CIW ..yuck).
    While neither course particularly focused on security, i still would have rather learned Java over basic web design principals.

Are you guys saying they removed the CCNA out of the networking degree?
    "Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you."