HP Proliant DL160 ESXi install

Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi guys I am trying to get ready for my next semester and ordered a server to run ESXi.
I have never used a rack mount server before and I am wondering about the basic setup.

Do I need to add a monitor and keyboard to the server for the install.
Can I install the ESXi on the USB flash drive before I put it on the server?

I tried to look for a youtube video specifically with the HP Proliant DL160 G6 but didn't come up with much.
Anyway I just wanted to post and let everyone know I appreciate the feedback I was given over the last two weeks. I don't know what I'll be doing with this server yet but I know I'm off to a good start. If anyone has any tips from setting up ESXi themselves I would love the feedback.

I purchased the following items so far.

HP Proliant DL160 G6 1U 2X Xeon QC L5520 2 26GHz 4XTRAYS 72GB DDR3
500Gig SSD
8gig flash drive

Comments

• ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    So I have an identical machine if you posted from e-bay. I had a hard time finding a program that would make the ISO into a bootable USB drive properly. The easiest way to do it would be to burn a DVD and install, but I don't have an external drive. So I had to come up with other options.

I am trying to recall which tool I ended up using. I believe it was the one listed in this blog: TinkerTry IT @ home | Rufus takes 2 minutes to create a bootable USB flash drive for ESXi installation
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thanks I did order it off ebay after reading the
    "Need help to build virtualization lab" thread.

I'll take a look at your suggestions tonight. I am hoping the server arrives today as I want to have it set up by next week.

Jon
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have done it once. Plugged in USB into my laptop, installed ESXi onto it and moved it to a server. One time it worked - another time it didn't.

USB DVD drives are cheap.. Maybe get one of those.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    I missed part of what you wrote there. You will need to hook a keyboard/mouse/monitor up for initial install, but then you can manage everything through the vmware tools.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    Looks like ESXi 5.5 does not have the DL160 G6 on it's compatibility list.
    I might install version 5.1 but I was wondering if anyone on the forums has successfully used 5.5 with one.
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That server comes with Software RAID which has always been a no no with VMware. You might need to get a different controller or use Hyper-V
    So far I got ESXi 5.1 update 2 installed on a 4gig flash drive.

I was not able to get a connection to it yet. It is not getting an ip from DHCP so I was trying to set up something static.
    I was trying to connect with a laptop through a switch. Then I tried a crossover cable.

Making the connection will be my next task.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a DL380 G6 and ESXi 5.5 installed on it with no issues whatsoever. Who cares about the HCL in a home lab?

Yeah give it a static IP in the same subnet as your laptop (unless you have a router in the mix too) and it'll connect with a normal cable.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like Essendon says - I would just throw 5.5 U1 on to it.

I see the DL160 G6 has a HP NC362i NIC... it might be an idea to make a custom ISO with the VIB from the VMware site. If you were expecting a DHCP address and didn't receive one then maybe it needs the driver? I don't know for sure, as I don't have the server but it's no harm to make an ISO up for the practice and use the latest NIC driver while you are at it...

EDIT - If it sees the NIC then maybe the drivers are OK but I'd still make an ISO up just to be sure.
    Sorry the DHCP is my fault. I don't have it hooked up to a network right now and that's just the warning message it displays. My house is all wireless so I didn't have a quick place to connect to the home network yet.

I have a 50 ft cable for testing but I appears that my kittens chewed through it this summer!
    My plan for tonight is to get another cable and start there.
    I'm using the same server and I'm running 5.5 with absolutely no issues. I had issues getting it to install until I used the method listed above.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    I had some problems getting ESXi loaded on an 8gig flash drive I had bought but was able to load 5.1 on a 4gig drive I had in my office.
    I might try loading 5.5 again but for the moment I'm still just learning so I'll play with 5.1 for a bit.

I was able to connect today. Only one of the two network adapters was active and I was using the wrong one. Always start at the physical!

Next up is figuring out what to do with the solid state drive. I am hoping I can just connect it and it recognizes it but what's the fun in that lol. I want to have a couple virtual machines created by the end of the weekend so I start to get an idea what I am doing.
    You just have to format the drive after you install it.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • cool_ashfaquecool_ashfaque Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Add that host in to network and you can create VM's through VMware V-sphere client installed in your PC.