Options

Expiring CCNA and CCNA Security, how should I proceed?

WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
I earned CCNA in 2009 and in 2012 went for CCNA Security as a means to renew my CCNA. Since that time I have moved into the security field in full force but would still like to renew my current CCNA and CCNA:Security certs, which certification test for CCNP Security would be best to take when taking into consideration a lack of funds to build a home lab. My certification doesnt expire until June 2015, but I would like to get started now to ensure I actually understand the material rather than cram to pass a test. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    I earned CCNA in 2009 and in 2012 went for CCNA Security as a means to renew my CCNA. Since that time I have moved into the security field in full force but would still like to renew my current CCNA and CCNA:Security certs, which certification test for CCNP Security would be best to take when taking into consideration a lack of funds to build a home lab. My certification doesnt expire until June 2015, but I would like to get started now to ensure I actually understand the material rather than cram to pass a test. Thanks!

My question would be, why haven't you sought out higher certification since 2012? Considering you moved "full force" into "Security" since then. Security is a blanket statement and Cisco is only a piece of that, so are you not using CCNA level skills regarding Cisco's line of Security products? If not, then why worry about a Cisco cert? Which side of Security are you on? Implementation, Compliance etc?

What do you want to be doing? If you want to work in Compliance, then a Cisco cert wouldn't be ideal. I'd think more a long the lines of a CISSP. Do you want to implement Cisco technologies (ASA-X, ISE, ACS etc.)? Then focusing on "Cisco" Security tracks make sense.

As far as which Security exam to take? Take a look and see which one you would like to start with

CCNP Security - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    I strayed away from Cisco when I became an instructor for PMP and some security courses, I am now working as a pen-tester and have used my CCNA/CCNA:Security knowledge to help me find weaknesses in Cisco routers/switches so although I am not working on Cisco devices daily, the knowledge gained from the certifications has helped me on my job..

I also am a Certification junkie and would hate for my 2 Cisco certs to expire because I did not renew my certifications by taking another cert. Just torn between a CCNP or a CCNP:Security cert as both would help me as a pen-tester...
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I personally don't understand the need but if you want paper, then by all means go for it. Just retake the CCNA Security exam and that would keep you current.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It also could (theoretically) be an employer requirement, even it isn't directly related to the position. I don't blame the OP for now wanting the certs to drop off, I wouldn't either... I view it as a form of insurance; for example, if I were to change employers and had a requirement to be certified, I would kick myself for letting them drop.

In my current position, not one single certification is required... but I want to maintain them all anyways. (except for EC-Council's, probably will let those fall away.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed