Options

CCENT 100-101 Certification Exam Advice!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Forum:
Well after evaluating myself, I have decided to pursue the 100-101 certification exam! Time to do work!!!! I have my exam scheduled for October 24th. Any suggestions or advice? I am using: Wendell Odom's 100-101 book, Boson NetSim Practice Exams 100-101, Live Rack, Chris Bryant videos. I have been scoring around 600/1000 on the practice exams from Boson(so not to bad but not good enough in the eyes of Cisco). Can anyone confirm the the Boson exams are similar in format to the actual CCENT? I have look also at Transcender exams also but I find these exams harder then the actual certification. Is there a happy medium between these two vendors for certification practice exams to give the most practical exam experience? Thanks forum!

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    use subnetting.net at least once a day for quick practice. This saved my butt with ICND1.

Your material is fine. Don't use the bosons to much yet or you will memorize the answers. Try it again in a month.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello Forum:
    Well after evaluating myself, I have decided to pursue the 100-101 certification exam! Time to do work!!!! I have my exam scheduled for October 24th. Any suggestions or advice? I am using: Wendell Odom's 100-101 book, Boson NetSim Practice Exams 100-101, Live Rack, Chris Bryant videos. I have been scoring around 600/1000 on the practice exams from Boson(so not to bad but not good enough in the eyes of Cisco). Can anyone confirm the the Boson exams are similar in format to the actual CCENT? I have look also at Transcender exams also but I find these exams harder then the actual certification. Is there a happy medium between these two vendors for certification practice exams to give the most practical exam experience? Thanks forum!

Cisco Jon is correct in saying that you could fall in the trap of memorizing the answers of the Boson exam. However--I swear a couple of these were exactly the same in the CCENT :{D. And.....you get explanations on why this or that answer is correct. In the Cisco exam, you cant see which ones you got wrong or an explanation on why your choice is wrong. With the Boson explanation, at least you can more fully understand the theory. I bought Boson ICND1 and I just purchased ICND2 practice exams. You should also consider EXAM CRAM by Pearsonitcertification.com. I bought the book, then bought the Kindle version and the practice exam which I like. subnetting.org is another practice site. I can do subnetting in a minute or less. Just remember the block sizes of the octet and do a 256 - <block size> and you can figure out any network size

Good luck.
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thought exactly what Jon mentioned. I have used subnetting.org in the past and I find that it works out great! My subnetting is surprisingly and shockingly good(not boasting) I have used the PerasonITCertification practice exams(A+,Network+,and Security+) and I find their exams to be good but I am the type of person that needs a lot of practice for the actual thing. I purchased the ExamCram for the ICND1 and used the practice exams and have been scoring around 600-650 on there as well. I did buy this book as well a while back and forgot all about it: Amazon.com: The Ultimate CCENT(ICND1) 100-101 Practice Exam eBook: 1ExamAMonth: Kindle Store Certified Braindump free by Kevin Wallace!! I just used 1 Boson exam to give myself a baseline as to where to proceed from there and where to test my strengths and weaknesses to pass my exam.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I thought exactly what Jon mentioned. I have used subnetting.org in the past and I find that it works out great! My subnetting is surprisingly and shockingly good(not boasting) I have used the PerasonITCertification practice exams(A+,Network+,and Security+) and I find their exams to be good but I am the type of person that needs a lot of practice for the actual thing. I purchased the ExamCram for the ICND1 and used the practice exams and have been scoring around 600-650 on there as well. I did buy this book as well a while back and forgot all about it: Amazon.com: The Ultimate CCENT(ICND1) 100-101 Practice Exam eBook: 1ExamAMonth: Kindle Store Certified Braindump free by Kevin Wallace!! I just used 1 Boson exam to give myself a baseline as to where to proceed from there and where to test my strengths and weaknesses to pass my exam.

It can not be said enough, because its this important...subnetting!

The boson questions are very good for prepping, they were as difficult as the exam. The real value in the boson stuff is the explanations. Read them all, research the wrong answers as well as the right answers (I used google and cisco's website for this part).

Labbing is also very important, at this point mostly show commands for OSPF and know how to configure banners, vty lines, static routes, enable secret passwords, enable passwords, telnet/ssh logins....just about everything in Odoms book.

Last, get a copy of the objectives and keep it in reach while studying. Its easy to lose focus if your into this networking stuff and spend 40 minutes reading about STP when you should be focusing on single area OSPF configurations :)
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Get to know your IPv6 as well!
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it just more of the different types such as link local, site local etc. and being able to determine which are which or is there more configuration? My current routers do not support IPv6 I do not have enough DRAM in my routers.