Options

Job Offer

tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
So I guess I just want an opinion from some other members on here to see what you all think. I recently got an offer from Dell Compellent and I accepted it. It is a Sr. Enterprise Analyst position and I will get to learn all the ins and outs of storage, big data, etc..

It's quite honestly a big pay increase for me 20%, paid education / certifications 100%, 3% annual bonus on top of base salary and a month of paid time off. I told my manager this and to my surprise he was furious. He told me it was a mistake and a disappointing and demanded why I wanted to leave and work there. I work for an MSP right now and although the opportunity to learn almost anything I want is almost unlimited. It's a lot of stress and there has been a lot of chaos happening here since I started. I've heard nothing but great things about Dell Compellent and the reviews seem solid. And although I'll be going back to a corporate position with less opportunities to touch different technologies I kind of like the idea of trying to focus on a few special areas and being in a less volatile environment.

What are your thoughts? I know opportunity wise that my manager is right--I won't get to touch as many technologies and I won't get to widen my skill set as much as if I waited out the storm. However, its the first time I've really ever had a manager just flat out shout at me and it was kind of just shocking. Besides that I think I will be a lot less stressed out getting away from the hard and fast life style of working for an MSP.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's an MSP, they make money from you, so if you're good they'll likely not want you to leave.

Do you actually want to keep a super wide skill set or do you want to focus? Did you accept the offer from Dell and you were putting in your notice?
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    It's an MSP, they make money from you, so if you're good they'll likely not want you to leave.

Do you actually want to keep a super wide skill set or do you want to focus? Did you accept the offer from Dell and you were putting in your notice?

You know to be honest I really want to try and specialize in something and storage / visualization / big data really interest me. So far in my years being in IT I've been more of a generalist. And while being a generalist keeps your scope wider and your options open it just doesn't seem to get as far and it doesn't seem to pay well. My job duties here can range from entry level desktop support to network engineer (without the network engineer salary). I don't really get to touch servers other than administration and AD & EMC.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like you answered your own question then. Your manager wants you to stay, he's using what he feels are benefits to make you feel guilty,the new job is more money, more in line with what you want to do and more opportunity to advance. Congrats.
  • Options
    Yeah that's true. I'm kind of curious if there is anyone else on this forums that have had something similar like this happen when leaving an MSP.
  • Options
    CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting...I work for a MSP now and I just accepted a new job. I will be letting them know on Tuesday and see what happpens.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Move on. your boss is just upset he is losing you. Go build up some new skills in big data and storage. Its an industry that is huge right now.
  • Options
    Interesting...I work for a MSP now and I just accepted a new job. I will be letting them know on Tuesday and see what happpens.

Are you going to take an internal type of position? Or are you going to another MSP / service provider?
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A good manager will wish you the best and let you go when they know it's an advancement in your career. Politics and HR will make it that they at lease attempt to stop you, but judging by what you are saying. Your boss didnt show any appreciation for you and worst of all didn't even counter offer just demanded you explain yourself?? You don't owe them anything, in most states(probably all) 2 weeks notice is a courtesy not a requirement.
    X
  • Options
    CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's an internal type position. I've been with this company about 9 months and I am honestly just not happy. I've gotten to touch a lot of different technologies and work on different types of networks so I will appreciate the skills I've acquired.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    For me your original post started and ended at "paid education / certifications 100%".

Take the new job with amazing benefits/perks and better pay, and abuse the hell out of free education and certs to gain knowledge and skills.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    It's an internal type position. I've been with this company about 9 months and I am honestly just not happy. I've gotten to touch a lot of different technologies and work on different types of networks so I will appreciate the skills I've acquired.

CodeBlue - I totally get where you're coming from. I've been at this MSP for about 9 months as well, however it's a chaotic and toxic environment. Documentation is little to 0 so whenever I go on site I have to basically reinvent the wheel every time I fix or install something. The turnover is astronomical literally I've counted maybe four employees a month at least one from our department and the company is pretty small. So far 10 employees have left our department since I've started and most have not been replaced. Also the hours and expectations are crazy, they'll throw something at you that you've never dealt with before and give you a 2 hour dead line to configure and install. It's amazing experience and I still love the people I work with and the job definitely has its perks. But the trial by fire thing gets old fast and the little to no documentation drives me insane.

JoJo - I agree with you. The second they told me they will pay for any cert even if its not necessarily related to your job--my eyes lit up.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bad manager. If you skills are that valuable to a company a good manager will try to find a way to keep you. I worked for a good manager and when I put in my two weeks notice he wasn't upset at all. At first he told me he certainly wouldn't begrudge me for leaving if they what it took for me to advance my career. Then he came back with a hefty counter offer and promotion and I ended up staying at the company.

And if they didn't want to do that he could of just wished you luck. You certainly don't shout at anyone. That's highly unprofessional.
  • Options
    user25379082user25379082 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @tkerber

What do you want? More technical proficiency or managerial responsibility?

What is your current position? Do you report to another engineer or do you report to a manager personally? Do you see a future with more responsibilities? What difference would it make to stay for two more years? Would you progress?