Options

Worried that My B.S Management Information Systems is worthless

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
After doing research, I kept getting mixed reviews. I've heard that some people can find jobs in I.T with this degree and some cant. Most of the I.T jobs I've looked at require 2+ years of experience. What are some good entry level jobs for someone with a B.S MIS? I do plan to get certifications and intern while getting the B.S MIS... This is where I'll be taking the class, it is accredited:

Management Information Systems | Adult Degree Programs | The University of Mount Olive

Comments

• Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is not worthless, but you have to set your expectations.

Few things in IT work exactly like the book says it does, hence the reason experience is so important. Keep your head down, keep working on the degree and find what part of IT you really *want* to be doing.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Never expect a degree to get you a job. I have a BA in MIS, feel free to check my linked in and see how it worked out for me. Your extracurriculars and your ability to take action using your knowledge are what will matter getting your first gig. I went from an internship and got hired full-time to the group I was interning for. A lot of people say help desk. Don't be afraid to start out small, put in the hours, and move up quickly. Good luck. If you need any advice along the way, feel free to PM me.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    my MIS degree didn't get me a IT job. It was my knowledge in networking that I learned by studying for certs that got me my last job (start-up msp). I now work with coworkers, quarter of whom never went to college. My manager who is the IT Director is a school dropout.

They tell me my degree will help me out in the future or to get entry into bigger companies. I sure hope so. I need to start paying off the loans I raised for my degree.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Never expect a degree to get you a job.

This is true for any job field. You have to put forth effort to nail the interview and get your foot in the door.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I never understood this degree, especially at the BS level. Do they expect graduates to be able to walk off the stage and immediately move into a management position or am I getting too hung up on the name?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    MIS degrees *should* be focused on helping businesses translate their needs into information systems output. In other words, take the stuff the CS degree graduates made and make some money with it.
  • Options
    Thanks dudes, I've been looking into this Information and Computer Technology program at ECU as well. I thought this would help me get into the I.T world a lot better. Most of the people who did this program got interns at Cisco, Cisco certifications and got jobs in I.T within a month of graduating. I think I'll take this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEUPLoFN1Po

Technology Systems Information & Computer Technology Program
  • Options
    iAnonymityiAnonymity Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need to think about what kind of position you want, then get certifications and or a entry level position to get that position that you want. My opinion on degrees differs, I have a B.S in Information Security Systems, but the program didn't do any cert training or voucher discounts etc, to put it plainly its just a degree. I got a lot of knowledge, but its theory, and labs were virtual. If I could do it again I would have stopped with my Associates and got certs. I worked 2 years on a HP line going from tester, to repair tech, then to a diagnostics tech and maxed out, no more raises just bonuses, which never came. Now I'm deploying devices for a healthcare company and my sole focus now is certs, specifically MCSA: Window 7 to get my foot into a desktop engineer position. To me experience and certs are worth more than a degree but I'm already in debt to student loans and I can't go back now!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I never understood this degree, especially at the BS level. Do they expect graduates to be able to walk off the stage and immediately move into a management position or am I getting too hung up on the name?

yes you're focused too much on the name. but alot of MIS grads get entry BA, QA, Systems Analyst type roles coming out of school...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    yes you're focused too much on the name. but alot of MIS grads get entry BA, QA, Systems Analyst type roles coming out of school...

Those roles don't seem to be very technical. They probably have to get certs such as the A+ or CCNA to get into technical roles. Otherwise they may end up saying that "the job market is not good."
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Nope, a degree is better than no degree period! I would suggest you get on linkedin and create a profile and take some time in setting up your profile correctly with all your information and attributes. The next think you will want to do is join groups that are IT related or telecom related. The recruiters will find you on there and friend you. I suggest you accept them and your offers will start to roll in slowly. I landed my last job on there from a recruiter and I wasn't even looking at the time because I was so focused on school. It was the best choice I've made and I had very little experience, but what got me the job was my education background and certs. I can't stress enough to people, that putting your resume on job boards and just re-uploading your resume periodically will get you plenty of looks and offers.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    Thanks guys, but I've already made up my mind. Im going here:
    http://www.ecu.edu/cs-tecs/techsystems/upload/BS_in_ICT_14_flyer.pdf

And go for the B.S Information and Computer Technology (Computer Networking Concentration). I will get interns and Network+, CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCIE certs.

I already have a linkedin:
    https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=367226018&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile

By the way, what entry level I.T jobs would lead up to me being a Network Administrator or Engineer? Or does all I.T jobs start at help desk?
  • Options
    keitarokeitaro Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If those are the classes you'll be taking then you'll be more geared for a network engineer position. Having said that, do you have a genuine interest in the field? It kind of seems like you picked out a degree randomly; there's nothing wrong with that but make sure you won't be miserable in this field prior to committing time/energy/money.

If you're pretty new to the field I would worry about the basics before going after a CCNP much less a CCIE. As posted above, start small and make your move once you're comfortable.
  • Options
    Yes I do have a genuine interest in the field.