Options

Help w Entry Level Position, DC/MD/VA area

BogeyhunterBogeyhunter Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! Im hoping that some of you might be able to offer me some advice on how to break through into IT, more specifically the InfoSec arena in the Maryland, DC, Virginia metro area. Ive apped for a lot of positions but I dont receive any call backs. My father actually works for BAH and even he cant get me a position.

Quick list of my credentials:

BS - Cybersecurity (UMUC, 2014)

Certs: Sec+, Net+, A+, CCNA (exam on 15th of Sep)

I have a crappy PT job working as a Field Tech for Fast-teks. I mainly work on Personal/Small Business systems but this position is not paying the bills, nor is it what Im looking to do. Ide like to pursue either a Pentesting/Cybersecurity track.

If anyone has any advice on how they got their foot in the door, please let me know. Im thinking the DMV area might be too competitive as nearly every position I run across is looking for TS Sec Clearance w/Poly or 5+ yrs experience.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AlexsmithAlexsmith Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Many positions in the DC Metro area require you to already have a active clearance, there's a few that sponsors but that's becoming less common.

For pentesting, there is usually a experience requirement in place before you can get hired as a pen tester. If I were you and was looking to get a full time position and eventually security. I would apply for a desktop role with a company that does have security contracts such as Phacil or Booz. Then after some experience they can move you over to another area and train you .
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    there are jobs all over that don't require clearances. I would look at the many MSP's in the area. There are so many that you should be able to get in on there service desk. There are usually openings.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    We have an opening for a NOC technician. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but we are looking to increase our security offerings and will have security positions opening up soon. PM me if you're interested.
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stay away from PHACIL.
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    HP has a huge presence in the DC Metro area and also gets security clearances. I'd recommend trying to get on with them. They could likely place you somewhere for a few months while they secure a clearance for you.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    22306 wrote: »
    stay away from PHACIL.

care to comment?? it would be funny if i knew you.
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you probably do. very very unprofessional
    yeah yeah wrote: »
    care to comment?? it would be funny if i knew you.
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Try applying to the bigger contractors in the area such as Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, HP, Amazon AWS, General Dynamics, etc. They often have new graduate programs where they will sponsor a clearance and bring you in. Your goal would be to get a clearance for the short term. After that, you can pursue the security aspect with greater flexibility.

Also, hit the pavement and go to the local college job fairs. Just because you don't attend the school doesn't mean you can't go usually. It's a great way to impress people and that's exactly how I landed my current job.
  • Options
    pevangel wrote: »
    We have an opening for a NOC technician. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but we are looking to increase our security offerings and will have security positions opening up soon. PM me if you're interested.

Pevangel, Thanks for the offer, Im definitely interested. Some reason I dont have rights to send PMs! Lol
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    The ability to send/receive PMs might be based on post count. I think I found a way to reach out to you. Let me know if you got my e-mail address.
  • Options
    HiTekHiTek Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the D.C area and I've gotten offers for help desk positions with no experience or certs. I've got a clearance but there are many that don't require one. Post your resume on the job boards and apply to entry level positions. Also, check out craigslist. There are many staffing agencies that will offer contracts from 3-12 months. Take whatever job you can get while gaining experience and working on your certs.
  • Options
    pevangel wrote: »
    The ability to send/receive PMs might be based on post count. I think I found a way to reach out to you. Let me know if you got my e-mail address.

So, weird. It wont let me read my email till I have more posts. Anyway, my email address is: rwagolf3@yahoo.com. If you could send me the information there I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!