Options

How bad should you want the experience?

CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Would it be wise to leave a full time job you been at for almost 7 years that's unrelated to your IT background for and entry level temp to hire IT position? My pay would drop a good bit but if hired permanently it would equal or surpass my pay at my current job that took 7 years to obtain. This would also be my first IT position so I can finally get my foot in the door and I'll be finishing up my Bachelors @WGU by the end of this year so I figured the experience would complement my educational background on my resume.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Contract to hire is being a pretty standard in the IT field. Sounds like a good opportunity compensation-wise. MAKE SURE you thoroughly read the whole contract. EVERY WORD. Take 24 hours to think about it.

Check out the third party contracting company if you are going through one and the company you are contracting at. Some unscrupulous companies will be abuse the process but most won't.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I would be very careful with a situation like this. It really depends how bad you want to move on and are willing to accept the pay reduction. Remember companies can hit rough patches where they could have a RIF and not legally be able to hire you for a long period of time. You could also just get into a situation where your contract is just extended for a period of time.
  • Options
    CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I start the position tomorrow and I will most likely have to make a decision by Friday. I will talk to my Supervisor at the site and get as much information out of him as I can like the average employee turnover and probationary period and ask what's needed to be successful in this position.
  • Options
    HiTekHiTek Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Certinator, I think you've made the right decision. I was in your shoes 6 months ago. I was working 2 job while going to school for IT, and began looking for my first IT position. I was offered a 6 month contract, temp to perm. I accepted the offer and took a pay cut. 6 months later, the experience I gained has been tremendous. Now that my contract is almost up, I've began processing for another job paying double what the temp has been paying. Good luck.